Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some more help i think

I got some more runs on the GPS and Tach yesterday. I think i should be doing better than this w/ my mods but maybe not, tell me what you think. I leaned my cars up a bit for the heat and it didnt make a diff in my rpms or speed so i richened them back up a bit

Temp: 95+
    Water: 0"-4" chop
    Water temp: 78ish

65.1 mph @ 7020 rpms

2001 GP1200R
    R&D Rec. Head
    Reinforced Tunnel (I used aluminum plate and fiberglass, now its bullet proof!)
    VF Reeds, Protec spacer
    D-Plate and sensor
    Jet Works (Cosca version) now removed - couldn't get to function properly
    Riva Plate - should i shim?
    Riva Free Flow
    Riva 1200 Intake Grate
    Solas 13/19 prop
    Stock gutted air box.
    Stock Carbs rejetted to:
    Pilots - 110
    Mains - 120
    Needles and Seats - 1.5
    Springs - 95 g.
    T-handles installed. set @ L-1 1/4 H 1 1/2
    disconnected acc. pump.

I think i should be running faster than this, what do yall think?

+1
    Trying to get to 7200 rpms in this Southern heat?

I AM NOT A TUNER. DO NOT FORGET THIS

It is just that your boat and mine are set up very similar with one exception.... the gutted stock air box. I'll get back to this.

With a 13/19 and VF3's you should get to or very close to 7200 rpms. Others are reporting significantly higher rpms, but this should be your base line.... especially in the summer.

With out VF3's in my GPR I was 7/8 out on the lows and 1 turn out on the highs. This should be your minimal settings. I would expect you to be close to 1 turn out on the lows and 1 1/4 out on the highs when your adjustments are over.

Here's the problem as I see it. You are running a stock flame arrestor which sends a different signal then say the after market filters and socks. If these settings do not work for you, then just for 2 speed passes, go to 1 turn out on the lows and 1 1/4 turn out on the highs and pull the top of the stock air box off to mimic the intake "signal" that many of us have with our aftermarket flame arrestor set up.

Two high speed passes should put this issue to rest, and you should be able to tell the difference very quickly.

If you do get the rpms up in this way, then you will either have to modify the air box to change the signal, or join the majority of us and get aftermarket filters.

After you get this issue resolved, then go to the JW mod. There are to many issues around you rpms to worry about this now. The JW mod will work for you, do not give up on it. You won't be sorry.

something must be wrong, i have a stock engine, with a 13/19 and a R&D ride plate and i am pushing 66.1

What kind of speeds are you looking at Sallty? Im just not sure what is going on, im just ready for this thing to be right! I want to re-prop to a 14/20, but cant until i get my rpms up!

+1
    My set up is very different now so it would be comparing apples to oranges.

The only thing I see that is different is the stock air box. I tried what you are doing because I raced in the Gulf and was concerned with getting water in my cylinders.... I thought the stock box would protect them. I could not get the carbs adjusted riight. After discussing it with other RIVA members (it was a while back), I went to the RIVA filters and socks.

It took about an hour to get it right after that.

Your right, don't worry about speed or anything else right now. Just get the rpms where they need to be. After you get this right all of the other things will start to make sence and work for you.

+1
    Potential dumb question but is your impeller nose cone a) billet and b) still there?

yep cone is blue billet and still there. Good thought though! I wouldn have thought of that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big83bronco
    yep cone is blue billet and still there. Good thought though! I wouldn have thought of that.
    I spun several of the early edition rubber ones so I'm familiar with that mph loser.

+1
    I have similiar mods and run pump gas head, pro-tec f/a's, ferchos vforce setup, jetworks mod, d-plate and have the 110 pilots and 125 mains, chokes and acc. pump removed. My carb settings were 7/8th on the low and 1 1/4 on the highs with H.O. and 14/20 dynafly. Turning 7200 rpm cold days and 7150 warm days. You're missing rpms most likely with too rich of settings on highs and lows for the temps your in. I run mine down to 55 degrees with my settings without problems.

+1
    86 riva plate go with R&D unless have old riva plate?(vent front hood,pull pump and check fitting of intake grate
    if have PPK after installing inserts did you trim flush?

that should keep you busy this weekend
    later cd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information