Arrow Tips for new Challenger 180 c180 owners

This is all my personal opinion. It may not be the best way to go but it works for me.

You should be able to easily hit 46MPH on your boat and you should be able to take 8 people on and only notice a small difference in time to plane, if you're having any trouble getting on plane or if you're getting any cavitation then you have a problem.

1. Check your pump, you might have sucked something up, I use a camera with flash to really get a good picture of what's going on in there.

2. Check your wear ring and impeller, the gap between the impeller and the wear ring should be almost invisible and there shouldn't be any major scratches on the wear ring or dent on the impeller.

It isn't easy to get huge performance increases on this boat like it is on a ski, you really have to do a lot of work and you'll be lucky to hit over 50mph, I suggest doing very simple mods.

1. Upgrade your impeller to SRX-CD-14/19R. You'll need an Impeller removal tool which is around $15, you'll need it anyway when it comes time to replace your wear ring. I noticed HUGE increases in low-end thrust. I also suggest buying new and measuring the pitch before installing, just to make sure you don't get a defected unit. I got a 2mph increase from doing this, I also recommend getting a new wear ring at the same time.

2. Go for the 4" intake upgrade, it really does make a difference but I think it makes a little more noise, maybe I'm going crazy... maybe... maybe... maybe...

Here are some more random tips, things I learned along the way.

1. Remove your speakers and get rid of those boxes behind the speakers, you will be amazed at the difference this makes.

2. Upgrade your speakers, the stock speakers are so crappy. You can get a really nice pair of Infinity 602m for $60, they look stock and last a lot longer too.

3. Don't get the bimini top unless you really really need it, it's a pain in the ass and ends up doing damage to your boat if you ride anywhere that has waves.

4. Don't try to fix your supercharger without using the shaft holding tool. And get one of those wrenches that tell you how much torque you're putting on so that you know you got it right. Put thread lock on your bolts and I use neverseize on all of my pump bolts but it makes a mess so be really careful. Also order a set of external Torx sockets, you'll need the E8.

5. Remove the inlet cleaning system and the whole ICS motor crap, it makes extra room for a big battery if you ever decide to upgrade your sound system. and it's just a pain in the ass anyways.

6. Unless you really need them, get rid of the stairs, it's annoying when you find out they came loose sometime during a long ride and cost you a bunch of performance. As a plus, you get grab girls asses as you help them get into the boat, and that's always good. Perverts!

7. Always turn off the battery switch when you're not using the boat.

8. Do your own oil changes, the dealership is a rip off and it's so easy to do, just get one of those things you hook up to your drill to suck out all of the oil, it's not as hard as it is to do on a car.

9. Check your intake all the time, it's easy to get something stuck in there, bags, fishing line, thongs, etc...

10. Keep a pair of those big cutting pliers and a mask in your boat, it's the easiest way I could find to cut rope from the pump if you suck up the rope while wakeboardig or tubeing...

11. The center compartment is bigger than you think, you can easily fit a wakeboard in there, get one if you don't have one, cheap ones are fine. It's sooo much fun. Just make sure to look up some youtube training videos before you get started, you need to know how to get out of the water or it won't be fun.

12. I love you. Have fun!

Comments posted below each of your numbered comments:

Quote Originally Posted by FLSUN View Post
    This is all my personal opinion. It may not be the best way to go but it works for me.

You should be able to easily hit 46MPH on your boat and you should be able to take 8 people on and only notice a small difference in time to plane, if you're having any trouble getting on plane or if you're getting any cavitation then you have a problem.

I agree. I replaced my wear ring last summer.

1. Check your pump, you might have sucked something up, I use a camera with flash to really get a good picture of what's going on in there.

Good idea!

2. Check your wear ring and impeller, the gap between the impeller and the wear ring should be almost invisible and there shouldn't be any major scratches on the wear ring or dent on the impeller.

It isn't easy to get huge performance increases on this boat like it is on a ski, you really have to do a lot of work and you'll be lucky to hit over 50mph, I suggest doing very simple mods.

1. Upgrade your impeller to SRX-CD-14/19R. You'll need an Impeller removal tool which is around $15, you'll need it anyway when it comes time to replace your wear ring. I noticed HUGE increases in low-end thrust. I also suggest buying new and measuring the pitch before installing, just to make sure you don't get a defected unit. I got a 2mph increase from doing this, I also recommend getting a new wear ring at the same time.

Got a Solas 14/19, I like it.

2. Go for the 4" intake upgrade, it really does make a difference but I think it makes a little more noise, maybe I'm going crazy... maybe... maybe... maybe...

I put on a cone style filter and kept one stock rubber tube to connect to it. Havent been able to test it but now I have more room near the battery. I threw out the stock airbox.

Here are some more random tips, things I learned along the way.

1. Remove your speakers and get rid of those boxes behind the speakers, you will be amazed at the difference this makes.

So you are saying there is a stock box behind the stock speakers like a sheild that I can remove for better sound? OK I wll try that.

2. Upgrade your speakers, the stock speakers are so crappy. You can get a really nice pair of Infinity 602m for $60, they look stock and last a lot longer too.

I bought a 4 channel clarion 700w marine amp and 10 inch sub, I hope to install them this weekend and run the sub and speakers off of it. I was going to see how the stock ones sounded with an amp but will probably get some polks or something eventually.

3. Don't get the bimini top unless you really really need it, it's a pain in the ass and ends up doing damage to your boat if you ride anywhere that has waves.

I have an aftermarket Airboom 3D tower that has an integrated bimini. It never touches the boat but it is a pain to open and close, it also acts like a sail at the dock and makes it hard. When you need the shade though it is great.

4. Don't try to fix your supercharger without using the shaft holding tool. And get one of those wrenches that tell you how much torque you're putting on so that you know you got it right. Put thread lock on your bolts and I use neverseize on all of my pump bolts but it makes a mess so be really careful. Also order a set of external Torx sockets, you'll need the E8.

I just sent it to Jerry and he did it. I had the whole SC rebuilt, if Iwas just doing the washers I would have done it. I re gear jeep axles, so Im sure I could have done it. I even have a good inch lb torque wrench. Next time I will have to do it myself.

5. Remove the inlet cleaning system and the whole ICS motor crap, it makes extra room for a big battery if you ever decide to upgrade your sound system. and it's just a pain in the ass anyways.

I need to do this, I just have never had a problem with the ICS yet so I left it. Did you remove the grate or fix it in place somehow? I have to read up on this. I am putting in two AGM group 34 batteries and a dual battery switch in place of the stock battery this weekend. It should all fit with the stock airbox gone and the ICS still in place.

6. Unless you really need them, get rid of the stairs, it's annoying when you find out they came loose sometime during a long ride and cost you a bunch of performance. As a plus, you get grab girls asses as you help them get into the boat, and that's always good. Perverts!

I have done that! (not the grab ass hehe) I left the ladder down once. The kids and wife like the ladder though. It didnt come loose, the kids just plain left it down.

7. Always turn off the battery switch when you're not using the boat.

Agree, I even use a float charger in the yard.

8. Do your own oil changes, the dealership is a rip off and it's so easy to do, just get one of those things you hook up to your drill to suck out all of the oil, it's not as hard as it is to do on a car.

Did that last week with an electric one. It took 4 quarts and there is only one kind of synth blend oil now that is fine with the SC supposedly.

9. Check your intake all the time, it's easy to get something stuck in there, bags, fishing line, thongs, etc...

One good tip is if you are riding along and think you have sucked something up, shut it off right away and wait a few seconds. Often whatever is on the grate will float off.

10. Keep a pair of those big cutting pliers and a mask in your boat, it's the easiest way I could find to cut rope from the pump if you suck up the rope while wakeboardig or tubeing...

Yea Yea or at least a pair of swim goggles, they are smaller and easier to carry.

11. The center compartment is bigger than you think, you can easily fit a wakeboard in there, get one if you don't have one, cheap ones are fine. It's sooo much fun. Just make sure to look up some youtube training videos before you get started, you need to know how to get out of the water or it won't be fun.

Agreed, also learn how to circle and bring the rope to the boarder in the water.

12. I love you. Have fun!

Nice post!

Kevin in San Diego with a 2006 C180

Another thought a few months later. Tow with a cover on or remove your rear seat cushions. They almost flew out of my boat and the snap in carpet kept popping loose. This is on long tows at highway speeds (55-65).

I bought a snap on bow and cockpit cover and have to install them. The large custom towable cover I have is a pain.

KH

Thread Information