Newbie - with a couple of questions

I wish I had known about this site sooner.

I've had my 2002 GTX for 2 years and the only maintenance I've done is to clean the RAVES and fuel filter and grease the PTO output shaft. What else do I need to do? NOW and long term.

I would also like to wax my ski. I'd like to take the rubber decking off to do this. Are the (rivets?) that hold the decking down removable and reusable?

I live in the Savannah, GA area. Are there any members in my neck of the woods?

Thanks in advance.

+1
    Once the OE mats are off they shall not be put back on. The rivets must be drilled off and it is not worth it to try to put the mats back on with new ones.

You will want to change the pump oil if it has never been done. Pull the steering nozzel off and you can get to the pump cone. You can check the oil level but after 7 year I would just figure on changing it.

As far as the waxing, just take care around the mats and have a tooth brush type detail brush handy to get off any excess.

+1
    +1 on pump oil. Might even check the bearings and just put in a pump rebuild kit (bearings and seals). Also check out the wear ring while you're down there.

If you have the grey tempo lines, may as well change them out too.

If you are going to remove the mats, look into some HYDROTURF mats. I just put a set on, and they are WAY nicer than the OEM ones. pretty reasonable too.

+1
    You can easily remove & replace your mats. I've done it many times. I'm not sure which is a bigger PITA, that or installing glue-on aftermarket mats, but remove & replace is much cheaper. If your mats are good and you're happy with them, keep 'em. You'll be removing rivets from your bilge for a while, though.

The Tempo fuel line thing really puzzles me. Years ago (98 or 99) there was a series (8710 I think) that broke down & plugged the carb filters, but I've not seen other series do this. I've got lines 10 years old or older that are in great shape. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe this myth has grown beyond the original problem?

+1
    Changing the pump oil is a very good recommendation. You might also want to check the torque of the pipe mount bolts as well as the condition of the rubber bushing at those joints. Failure of these joints leads to failure at the head pipe to manifold joint. That's bad.

Check the condition of the shaft seal (carbon seal) boot. Make sure it's not suffering from dry rot. Check the amount of compression it is placing on the steel ring that is attached to the drive shaft.

For around $10 you can get a shop manual on CD on Ebay. They are nice to have around.

+1
    Good call on the pipe mount bushings. I am not sure how I forgot that since I am about to do them on my '02.

Now, if you boat is stored inside you can keep the stock mats in good shape. If outside, even covered, they will shrink up and get humps and fade and what have you.

IMO, Gator Grips are superior to HT in grip and appearance but each has his own likes. You can get more colors in HT but if that '02 is yellow on black (the greatest SD color scheme of all time, time, time...) then all you need is basic black.

The '02s came with the black fuel lines and do not have the deterioration issues that the gray lines did.

Thanks for all the inputs!
    I'll change the pump oil this weekend.

Since my mats are in almost new condition I guess I'll just tape them off and wax around them.
    If I choose to remove them, is the "stealership" the only place to buy new rivets?

Thanks again!

+1
    It seems like an awful lot of work just to wax you ski Just tape them off.

FYI, any 1/8" aluminum rivet will work just get them long enough (1"). It's the little plastic caps they'll rape you over. Try not to break the tip off of those.

Thread Information