Question 01 RX and I am new

I was just wondering if someone could take some time and tell me a bit about my 2001 RX. I am new to the ski and had it out last year. I am taking it into saltwater on Wednesday and just bought a flush kit for it.

I am handy, so I will be able to work with it, if I know what I am working on.

Please tell me a bit about maintenance, upgrades, top speeds, anything you can think that a guy with no knowledge of the jet ski world could use. Thanks for the help.

Joey P

www.BSOHome.com

www.twitter.com/jpoltor

Check me out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoltor View Post
    I was just wondering if someone could take some time and tell me a bit about my 2001 RX. I am new to the ski and had it out last year. I am taking it into saltwater on Wednesday and just bought a flush kit for it.

I am handy, so I will be able to work with it, if I know what I am working on.

Please tell me a bit about maintenance, upgrades, top speeds, anything you can think that a guy with no knowledge of the jet ski world could use. Thanks for the help.

Joey P

www.BSOHome.com

www.twitter.com/jpoltor

Check me out

Welcome to the site. From what I have found, this place has EVERYTHING. If you ever have a question, someone here can help you out. Listing everything about your ski might be a little long, so if you have a question, just ask, and I"m sure you'll find the answer.

I'm not that familiar with running in saltwater, but I do know they require a good flush when done.

I would recommend that you check your wear ring, replace the pump oil, swap out any gray tempo lines, clean/replace fuel/oil filter and fuel selector switch.

Good luck!!!

+1
    Allright another RX owner.
    Performance mods check the sticky at the top of the page. Bens mods for 951 and 1050 setups. Great reading Ben did all the home work for us.

+1
    Get a can of plain spray silicone and hose down everything under the seat before riding in salt water. This helps displace the moisture and salt.

After riding in salt, stop on the way home at a coin car wash and wash off the trailer (this goes double if it is not galv) and the outside of the boat. Then the inside. Be conservative as you do not have to blast the inside (especialy around the carbs and electronics). Do the same thing to the pump, soft spray, not hard.

Then once home, follow the flush procedure with the kit (I assume salt-a-way) and remember you only have five minutes on the hose. Also remember Boat On, Water On-Water Off, Boat Off. Leave a little salt-a-way in the flusher to spray into the engine compartment and the pump area and around the handle bar controls.

When done lift her up to drain and leave the seat off for a while to let it dry out.

I store mine with the seat loose so that it can ventilate. Condesation is a problem on a boat that sits buttoned up outside.

Once it has dried, spray her down again with silicone. Be sure to hit the pump area.

If the boat does not have a quick disconnect on the flush fitting at the back I suggest you get one. It makes flushing a lot easier. You can get them at Lowes, HD, Walmart ect. It is the same size as a garden hose so just get a male/male for the boat and a female/female for the hose. That way when you go to flush you just click and go.

I also put an on/off valve behind the QD to allow me to operate the water without having to run to the side of the house.

Welcome to the site. Lots of info here for sure. so far everyone seems very helpful.

Thread Information