Thread: new noise!!!!

Exclamation new noise!!!!

ok so i took my 05' R12x out for the first time this season, it has around 85 hours on it. I winterized it properly and did everything by the book.

but on its first 2009 voyage out, it was running perfect. not a single complaint. but after about 15min of idling out of the channel, i got on it. and was wide open for about 5min straight. then backed down then keep on it getting it up to WOT. now the water is about 55-60degrees. After it seemed to really 'warm up' it has this uncontrollable vibration. almost like when your car tires loose there wheel balancing weights, its just a vicious shaking. lost all kinds of power and rpm too. i was a few miles off shore and away from the ramp so i had to keep on it for a little more, hoping it would sort of fix itself.

what have i found myself getting into now? what is wrong????

+1
    Might be sparkplugs or something stuck in the impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Might be sparkplugs or something stuck in the impeller.
    yeah spark plugs will be done this weekend as well as a test run. and if it still persists the pump will be coming down. any other ideas what it could be? the coil packs? seems like it could be electrical...

what about your engine mounts? just throwin that out there

yeah ive heard some horror stories of that happening to an 2004 r12x. im not sure how to check that besides trying to rock the motor in any direction?

Quote Originally Posted by slightlyfastR12x View Post
    yeah ive heard some horror stories of that happening to an 2004 r12x. im not sure how to check that besides trying to rock the motor in any direction?
    yeah you should be able to tell, i would rock it around by each engine mount and see if any one moves more than the other.i wouldn't recommend riding it until your sure it's not your engine mounts. i know first hand what happens when your engine mounts give while your out on the water... its not cool. haha

Yeah I'm a coucher, and proud of it! ticketplease's Avatar

Bad Vibration

Have you shined a flash light up into the pump from the back of the ski? What do the blade ends look like on your impeller?

I had a similar issue with my 03, but it was spark plugs. FYI if you buy them from your dealer they charge between 15-18$ each, I got mine from advanced auto for 9$ each. They are even the same iridium plugs brand and all! Most autoparts stores can also cross reference for example the pricey oil filter can be swapped as well.

Anyway I swapped the plugs and it was like new. Hope this helps

check plugs

Mine did the same thing. While on the water or running it at the house you can check to see which plug it is misfiring or eliminate the plugs. I just one at a time unplug the wire going to the coil pack. If it changes the way the jet ski is running then chances are it is not the plugs or the coils. If it does not change the sound of the motor at idle then bingo that is the plug that is bad but go ahead and change them all. The iridium plugs arent like old two stroke plugs where you can clean them and they run fine so hope this helps.

finally got everything straightened out. fresh 10-w30 syn oil and napa filter and 4 laser iridium plugs from advance auto. just waiting on mother nature to give me some sun and warmth over 60.

Thread Information