1996 SLTX long term issues?

Have a 1996 SLTX I have owned since new. Great ski. No real problems. Always used Polaris synthetic. Has 250 plus hours. Only annoying thing is the MFD is starting to go. I put higher compression domes, extended ride plate and 6 degree wedge on it early in it's life. Had a Nu-Jet impellor on it and was great for top end, but hole shot suffered. Took it off when riding in the ocean a few times. Need the hole shot when jumping waves or outrunning them

I have read a few post about fuel system issues and triple pumps on the FUJI motors. Do the domestic have the same issues I need to address? Started it up for the season 2 weeks ago and had no problems firing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
    ...Only annoying thing is the MFD is starting to go...

I have read a few post about fuel system issues and triple pumps on the FUJI motors. Do the domestic have the same issues I need to address? ...
    The domestic engines do not have the fuel pump issue that the Fuji 750/650 engines have.

Glad to hear about Polaris that are running well
    Many folks only post when they have problems.

If the MFD has portions of the display that are fading, there is a repair procedure for that.

If you still have the gray Tempo fuel lines, they are known to degrade and cause issues. Replace the fuel lines, and clean out the carburetor internal filter screens.

Also clean/rebuild the fuel selector valve, and replace the fuel and oil filters.

If you still have the original Ignition System (CDI+stator), you should know that these tended to fail over time. Polaris issued an Ignition System Update Kit, which updates both parts to a newer design.

I also have a 1996 SLT700 which is the most fun all around since it will pull me slalom and will spin the kids silly. It runs great too. It did cook the rear cylinder about 9 years ago due to a frayed water line which was routed incorrectly by the factory.

As for both, they have the original fuel lines, filters, etc. Any suggestion on a particular fuel line or just go to Autozone?

As for the CDI, I know there is an update but it runs great so why spend the money?

+1
    ...Any suggestion on a particular fuel line or just go to Autozone?

As for the CDI, I know there is an update but it runs great so why spend the money?
    Any good quality fuel line will do (1/4" inside diameter I think).

Some guys prefer the reinforced type (but no need for the expensive high pressure 'fuel injection' hose type), since the hoses running from the tank to the pump are under mild suction - you don't want the hose to collapse over time and restrict fuel flow.

The Ignition update kit comment is really just a heads up. If one day the engine no longer runs as it should, you will know that the original CDI/stator failing is a possibility.

It is also unclear how many more years these kits will be continue to be available from Polaris.

Yes I have thought about the availability thing.

Thanks for your advise

It's getting tougher and more expensive to find the Polaris 2 stroke synthetic oil in my area. Any recommendations or replacements or where to get the Polaris stuff? Don't like the race oil as it stinks (I like it but my wife doesn't)

+1
    I...Polaris 2 stroke synthetic oil...
    Any recommendations or replacements or where to get the Polaris stuff?...
    Lots of threads discussing oil options.

Thread Information