Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    New Seadoo purchase advice

    Okay, been researching Seadoo's for a month or so. Now the dilemma!

    I was all set to buy a new 2008 GTI SE 155. Then the same dealer showed me a new 2007 Wake 155 for about $500 more. The 2008 GTI SE 155 is still in a crate to be assembled after purchase. The 2007 Wake is on the showroom floor since last August (according to dealer.) The 07 looks brand new and it's real tempting (and never been in water.)
    BUT, it's an 07 AND a showroom floor model (never been out on water.)

    I've looked at the link on this forum on buying "used", but this 07 falls between used and new. I'm slightly concerned about how many times the throttle lever has been thrust back and forth, seat, components pulled in/out, etc. Are these valid concerns even?
    Also, not to mention resale of the 07 Wake may be less than the 08 GTI.
    Maybe I'm just paranoid!

    If it Wake weren't a showroom model, I'd prob grab it up in a sec as it seems it has a slightly upgraded build(?) and a few "niceties".

    So, of course, I'm seeking advice from users if I should go with a crated new 08 GTI SE 155 or the 07 Wake 155.


  2. #2
    GTI SE 155
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    139
    That's a dilemma......I think the Wake is "prettier' that the GTI - has more presence on the water - but the top speed & acceleration should be similar. The GTI hull is newer, though, and the GTI is thought to be a more "tossable" and playful boat.

    Does the Wake have the ski pylon on the back? How about the big plastic wake tanks? I think having these optons would be nice.

    I think if it were me, I'd get another $500 from the dealer and go with the Wake, and this from a GTI owner who is thrilled with his purchase.

  3. #3

    Wake vs GTI

    So far, you're the only one who has chimed in. Put same question on the Seadoo forum and after 3 days, lots of people looking at it but no one answered!
    Yes, the wake has the retractable ski pylon and the wake tanks. I was reasonably certain I wanted the Wake but only trepedation was it being on the showroom floor for several months.
    Thanks much for your reply!

    Quote Originally Posted by fastexas View Post
    That's a dilemma......I think the Wake is "prettier' that the GTI - has more presence on the water - but the top speed & acceleration should be similar. The GTI hull is newer, though, and the GTI is thought to be a more "tossable" and playful boat.

    Does the Wake have the ski pylon on the back? How about the big plastic wake tanks? I think having these optons would be nice.

    I think if it were me, I'd get another $500 from the dealer and go with the Wake, and this from a GTI owner who is thrilled with his purchase.

  4. #4
    lextoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brigantine, NJ
    Posts
    1,883
    +1
    14
    nah showroom floor use is not an issue.
    if you want a bigger ski get the wake, OR smaller more agile (slightly) get the gti.
    find out if the engine has ever been run, and if it has been stored properly?? aka fogged. was water ever run thru it??
    ask them to swap you a new battery in for the sale price. and get a cover and 1st service thrown in too.
    you are doing him a favor taking a wake from 07 off his hands.
    original battery is probably a bit worn, just from neglect.
    and get the wake for the same price you are buying the gti for!!!!!
    it is a buyers market.

  5. #5

    GTI vs WAKE

    I like all of what you said. As for price, they're firm as I pitted them against another dealer and I think they're close to their "rock bottom" price (I'm sure they're still making a decent profit though.)
    No water in it but I will inquire just to be certain; supposedly it's brand new. I'll inquire about battery etc as I know nothing about that and it sounds like a good idea.
    Thanks much for the advice. I'm gonna call in a few mins and go for the wake. Now only have to wait a couple months before it gets any use since the water here is still ice cold...


    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    nah showroom floor use is not an issue.
    if you want a bigger ski get the wake, OR smaller more agile (slightly) get the gti.
    find out if the engine has ever been run, and if it has been stored properly?? aka fogged. was water ever run thru it??
    ask them to swap you a new battery in for the sale price. and get a cover and 1st service thrown in too.
    you are doing him a favor taking a wake from 07 off his hands.
    original battery is probably a bit worn, just from neglect.
    and get the wake for the same price you are buying the gti for!!!!!
    it is a buyers market.

  6. #6
    I had a wake in the past (05) and loved it. Pulling kids around the lake when they were very young was a lot of fun, and someone sitting backwards and holding onto handles was a nice addition.

    Resale value will be negligible between the two. Condition seems to rule my seadoo sales. Keep it mint and stock and you will be fine.

    Go for it!

    above all, it DEFINITELY is a buyers market. SHop around some reasonable offers to dealers, they will call you back - especially on leftover non-supercharged skis.

  7. #7
    12timeworldchamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    445
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by WinniCandle View Post
    I had a wake in the past (05) and loved it. Pulling kids around the lake when they were very young was a lot of fun, and someone sitting backwards and holding onto handles was a nice addition.

    Resale value will be negligible between the two. Condition seems to rule my seadoo sales. Keep it mint and stock and you will be fine.

    Go for it!

    above all, it DEFINITELY is a buyers market. SHop around some reasonable offers to dealers, they will call you back - especially on leftover non-supercharged skis.

    + 1
    I prefer the Wake also. I had nothing but good things to say about my 03 wake edition. 3 years (180 hrs) of flawles use and sold it for about 5K.

    Ed

  8. #8
    Never Time To Ride antoniodef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan
    Posts
    1,169
    Get the Wake. The ski pylon and tanks are worth more than 500 alone. It is nicer looking and will have more function for towing. I believe in 09, the 155 wake went to the same ull as the GTI, but in 08 it was still based off the GTX hull. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. You will like the Wake better.

  9. #9

    Talking Wake vs GTI

    Thanks to all for your replies!! I put my deposit on the WAKE 155 last night and will pick it up this weekend!

  10. #10
    zerowake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gahanna
    Posts
    336


    have fun

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New seadoo purchase dilemma
    By SEADOOFRK in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM
  2. Advice on picking up new seadoo's
    By Rocketman9132 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM
  3. Need advice on purchasing a new Seadoo
    By GSXRGRIZZ in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
  4. brand new 1996 seadoo xp! advice?!
    By oneludesol in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 04:23 AM
  5. SeaDoo purchase :: Advice on Max hours/value
    By Kummer in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •