Question 3-Blade vs 4-Blade Impeller

My GPR is the last model (04) that they used the 4-blade impeller and I was curious if anyone knew what the advantages and disadvantages were with the 4-blade? I'm typically a recreational rider (except when I get the occasional racing itch) so having more thrust from start is more important (especially when there are multiple people on the waverunner).

Any thoughts

Yoki

With impellers and propellers, the more blades it has, the more bite it has, and the quieter it is. There are obviously exceptions, but this is pretty much the way it is.

Upgrade to the 05+pump and a DF14/20+ and never look back......

No one really uses a 4 blade in the gpr. Get yourself an aftermarket intake grate and seal the pump shoe and it will hook up great.

I "think" '04 was the only year they even used a 4 blade.

+1
    Typically a 3 blade prop will have a much better low end thrust than a 4 blade prop. And vice versa, a 4 blade will have a better top end than a 3 blade. The 03 - 04 GPRs came with a 4 blade 16.3 non variable prop. So there will be a difference when comparing to variable props. I currently picked up FX 140 16.3 3 blade prop and I'm waiting for my shaft removal tool to come in to do a comparison. If low to mid range and rough water riding is what you ride, get a Skat Trak swirl XL 13/19 prop. If you have a semi stock/ stock machine don't put a 14/20 prop on it. The low end thrust will be worse than a stock prop.

Quote Originally Posted by R1SideWayz View Post
    Typically a 3 blade prop will have a much better low end thrust than a 4 blade prop. And vice versa, a 4 blade will have a better top end than a 3 blade. The 03 - 04 GPRs came with a 4 blade 16.3 non variable prop. So there will be a difference when comparing to variable props. I currently picked up FX 140 16.3 3 blade prop and I'm waiting for my shaft removal tool to come in to do a comparison. If low to mid range and rough water riding is what you ride, get a Skat Trak swirl XL 13/19 prop. If you have a semi stock/ stock machine don't put a 14/20 prop on it. The low end thrust will be worse than a stock prop.
    You've got that backwards...a 4 blade impeller/propeller will have better hookup, due to the increased surface area. Since there is an increase in surface area, there will be more drag, and efficiency will be reduced, therefore top end will suffer slightly. There are lots of variables that could make the inverse true, but it you have both impellers setup so they load the engine the same on top, this will be the case.

That's what I have figured, but wanted some other imput.

Thanks

Thread Information