Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    +1

I was happy for 1 day

Well, there is a short story that goes with this disucssion. I hope I don't boar anyone. Well here goes: I was getting somewhat disaapointed in my RaceTech GTX over the last several months because other skis were starting to stay with or beat me out of the hole and stay with or beat me on the top end. The feeling became worse and worse. I finally confronted Mark Udnrwood about this situation and he asked me how many hours are on my ski? I told him I have 150 hours. He said, "You most likely have to reset the timing chain between the crank and the cam, as it stretches over time." Well, he has never been wrong yet. So I had my dealer retime the chain. The dealer said, "Yes it was definately strecthed and out of whack. Also, did you know that you have the wrong wear ring installed." I said, "What!!?" He said, "You have a 2004 pump and a 2003 wear ring installed. They are very different in size. You are ingesting a lot of air." Well, he changed the wear ring also and I took delivery of the ski yesterday. The minute I punched it out of the hole, the ski jumped out of the water and accelerated like a fuely dragster. I couldn't believe it! I almost peeeeeed me pants. It was like the ski lost 300 lbs. and was now an olympic sprinter. Just to make sure, I raced the first RXP I could find. We punched it out of the hole and I jumped him by no less than 10 ski lengths within 2 seconds. By the time I saw 72mph on the GPS he wasn't in site. It was amazing! I am still having wet dreams about my ski. Mark Underwood is a genius!

The bad news is: today and all of a sudden... I lost my hole shot. I now cavitate out of the hole like crazy. I punch the throttle and the rpms go to 8,300 rpms, but no acceleration. I am taking the ski back to the dealer tomorrow for a chyeckup. I think it is the wear ring. If it is, then I am gonig to order the billet wear ring for sure. I just can't stand the pain of going from a ballistic ski to a normal ski. It just isn't fair! I have learned a big lesson if it is the wear ring. The moral is, "Loss in speed is not necessarily due to the engine!.... There is more speed in the pump setup than you can imagine."

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    Better be happy for one day than gay for a lifetime.

You're lucky...

+1
    I was eating up plastic wear rings in under 4 hours. (race tech stage 3's do this) thats why i switched to stainless.

whats a race tech stage 3?

about 3 grand.......lol

+1
    I hate plastic wear rings...I seem to be getting about 10 hrs on mine...I think stainless will be on my x-mas list!!

And Phil what prop did you end up running?? I seem to be eating stock rxp's for breakfast.. On Marks stock prop...72.8 max in speed for me...In colder water conditions...

+1
    Painkiller, i am running a Stage 3. It consists of a ported head and racing cam along with all the other goodies such as an ECU and Rotax Racing intercooler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1969camaro-rs
    about 3 grand.......lol
    Plus two

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by two2curupt
    And Phil what prop did you end up running?? I seem to be eating stock rxp's for breakfast.. on Marks stock prop...72.8 max in speed for me...In colder water conditions...
    I haven't locked-in the right prop yet. Right now I am running Mark's repitched stock prop.. Dave Stewart has tweaked it for me to get a better low end. When my wear ring is not worn out, I have such a hole shot that the top speed doesn't matter. I crush the competition with acceleration. By the time they catch up (about 1/4 mile), if they can catch up?.... the race is over! For example, I have a friend with a modified single pipe GPR1200... who runs around 72MPH... I beat him out of the hole so bad... he can't win... even on a bad day for me. When my wear ring is worn, he kicks my butt on the low end so bad.. it takes me about 1/2 mile to catch him... and sometimes I can't catch him.

Right now, my best speed during the summer months has been 72.6mph. I can almost always hit 69-70mph in glass or 6 inch chop, even on a bad day. When it gets a little rougher, I loose the pump at start sucking air. You can feel it. It is a horrible feeling. You have to remember that I am at 800 ft. elevation, the barometer is generally around 29.25 and the E. Temp is 92, which really sucks. However, in moderately rough water (1' to 2' lake slop with an occasional 3' to 4' boat wake), my ski runs 65-67 mph. There is no RXT, RXP, Ultra, or Yamaha on this lake today that can stay with that. Of course, LawRacing is building the ultimate RXP and my friend Eric will have his Yamaha modified by Kerry H. over the winter. Then, I will get my butt kicked for sure.

Dave Stewart (Impros) is reworking a 4 blade Solas for me for the third time. The prop is still too tall. I feel like a jerk having him do this work, because we are shooting at a moving target, the wear ring. I don't know if the wear ring was worn or OK during testing of the Solas. The next time Dave sends me the prop, I will make sure the wear ring is OK.

Mark tells me that the split drive shaft and the Skat pump with a 3 blade may be the answer for us. It could get us in the 74-75mph range. Why don't you try it first and post your results... Ha! Ha! I am a little skeptical about Skat now since I heard some bad press about their pumps!?

BTW, does anybody have the pictures, info and phone number for the fellow who makes the stainless (or is it billet) wear ring? If it is the solution for us, he will be a hero!

+1
    two2curupt,

You need the racing cam! It is the single most important improvement that you can do! Acceleration is what is is all about! You will notice an amazing difference in your ski.

Phil

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information