Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rounded one of the torx heads on supercharger.. help!!

Taking the supercharger off to get washers done... the bolt closest to the throttle body is now rounded off..... i guess the torx socket i was using was shitty.. what do I do now??? If I knew taking the SC off was such a bitch I would have just paid the $$$$ for the dealer to do it.

+1
    Just drill the head off or grind it off with a dremel tool hopefully you will have enough material to grab onto once the S/C is out.

+1

+1

Smile Bolt-Out Extractor kit

Quote Originally Posted by canadianRxtX View Post
    Taking the supercharger off to get washers done... the bolt closest to the throttle body is now rounded off..... i guess the torx socket i was using was shitty.. what do I do now??? If I knew taking the SC off was such a bitch I would have just paid the $$$$ for the dealer to do it.
    Do you have Sears / Craftsman tools in CA? Get a "Bolt-Out" Extractor kit. They are sockets that remove rounded off bolt heads. After you get all 3 bolts out, take one of them and go to your local hardware store and match up a metric bolt / threads / length with a regular hex head (10mm I think) instead of torx! You'll use the extractor kit again some day and having regular hex head bolts on the SC will help in the future!

Take a deep breath, drink two Labatt's, then get back to work! Good luck.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    try these..they work on just about everything

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...=bolt+out+sets

you beat me to it JPT

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Do you have Sears / Craftsman tools in CA? Get a "Bolt-Out" Extractor kit. They are sockets that remove rounded off bolt heads. After you get all 3 bolts out, take one of them and go to your local hardware store and match up a metric bolt / threads / length with a regular hex head (10mm I think) instead of torx! You'll use the extractor kit again some day and having regular hex head bolts on the SC will help in the future!

Take a deep breath, drink two Labatt's, then get back to work! Good luck.
    JT....you need to send him some Shiners!

Thanks airborne and JP, I was thinking of something like that in my head, and was hoping I could find soemthing like that. I have my grabits and all that other crap that do not work but these Sears ones look like just what the doc ordered. I will pick some up tomorrow and try it out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianRxtX View Post
    Thanks airborne and JP, I was thinking of something like that in my head, and was hoping I could find soemthing like that. I have my grabits and all that other crap that do not work but these Sears ones look like just what the doc ordered. I will pick some up tomorrow and try it out
    go one size up and try hitting it in with a hammer and carefully lossen it. I have a mac and snap-on set and i alway do this at work when they strip. or drill a small hole and hit a torx bit in and turn it out. i just did this to remove a broken head bolt.

+1
    Take a Dremel and a cutting wheel and grind a line into the head, now take a flat head screwdriver and turn the bolt out.

Now replace the 3 Torx bolts with normal bolts when you re-intall the supercharger. I didnt do this on mine but will next time I take mine off.

man who would have thought it would be so hard to find the bolt out kit at sears.. none of them around here know what it is.. so step 1. try it with a dremel.. and 2. order bolt out kit from USA sears and wait 1 week for shipping what a PITFA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information