Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT Troubles! Stumped on Problem, please help!

Hello to all! I need help with an issue on my ski.

I am having the trouble of hearing the ticking sound when I would pushed the start button to turn the ski on and also my battery would drain quickly (in a matter of 2 or 3 rides) So I started by getting a new battery (it was about time to get a new one anyways) and replaced it hoping that the battery was going bad.

The problem remained the same after replacing the battery. So my next step was to check the starter relay and I started by putting a screw driver up the two positive poles attached to it (the 2 red wires). The only thing that happened was that it would spark, nothing else. Then I took it out of the ski and connected external power to it. It ticked as if working properly every time I connected power through it (Is it suppose to tick when power goes through it?). So we assumed it was good.

So I try to test the ski, and I put the key on and everything powers on normally. I hit the start button and only hear a tick, then all of a sudden the gauges reset. I hit the start button again to make sure, and the gauges reset again and then the message 'Key' appears on the screen (which I have never encountered before).

So I did some research on the forum and found a few other possibilities.

The next procedure was we checked the ground wires of the engine (located in the front of the engine next to the engine tag). They seemed clean and looked to have a good contact but we took them off and cleaned everything thoroughly. That still was not it.

So we were assuming that it would be the starter. So we began to analyze the starter. At first glance, the positive wire protective cover to the starter is partially melted. So immediately we think we have found the problem. So we go ahead and take the starter off. We connected external power to it and the only thing that happens is sparks. We try again and sparks again. So my father decided to try once more and low and behold the starter starts right up and spins. We try again and it starts right up again. So we cleaned the connections installed the starter back onto the ski, hoping that maybe it was just stuck. I go to test it and the tick still occurs, gauges reset and the message key appears.

I have been at it for about two weeks now and am absolutely stumped by this situation. So I am asking you guys to see if I overlooked something or maybe you can think of something that I am not thinking of. I want to get my ski running again and its bugging the crap out of me that I cannot figure this out. So please comment if you can, any info would be a great help. Thank you to all in advance!

Francis
    Sorry for the long post, trying not to exclude any details.

+1
    Last year mine started acting a little funny on start up, so I took it in to our dealer. They had to replace the STARTER SOLENOID, they told me it's a pretty common problem. Not sure if that is related to your issue, but they fixed it under warranty and no problems since.

+1
    Not sure if it is related, but make sure the DESS post and key are very clean. You mentioned your gauges acting up, and that happened once to me. apparently some steel wool was in the key (magnetic) and wasn't allowing a good connection. Just give it a look and make sure it is not that!

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Last year mine started acting a little funny on start up, so I took it in to our dealer. They had to replace the STARTER SOLENOID, they told me it's a pretty common problem. Not sure if that is related to your issue, but they fixed it under warranty and no problems since.
    What dealership do you take yours to? I live in the Orlando area and would like to take it to a trustworthy dealership since I am absolutely stumped.

so the starter spins and the solenoid engages on the starter with it off the ski , right ? but when you put it on just click ?
    try pulling the plugs out of the motor and see if it will turn it over then , was the ski running just before this happened or has it been sitting , basically I am asking if you are sure the motor is free to turn , no water in the cylinders or rust in the bores , also if there is corrosion inside the starter it can cause it to have a very high amp draw and not function .

Quote Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
    so the starter spins and the solenoid engages on the starter with it off the ski , right ? but when you put it on just click ?
    try pulling the plugs out of the motor and see if it will turn it over then , was the ski running just before this happened or has it been sitting , basically I am asking if you are sure the motor is free to turn , no water in the cylinders or rust in the bores , also if there is corrosion inside the starter it can cause it to have a very high amp draw and not function .
    You got it correct, the starter spins and the solenoid engages on the starter with it off the ski but when everything is back in the ski the only thing I get from it is the ticking sound. And then the gauges reset and the message 'key' is displayed on the screen.

By plugs, do you mean spark plugs? I can give that a try.

The ski was running before this...last trip (2 weeks ago) I was out for a couple hours and shut it off to relax with some friends and eat lunch...and then it would not start again. Had to be towed back to the ramp.

I agree with Wolfe, check to see that the engine turns freely, also check to see if something got jammed inside the pump housing where the prop is. If there is some debris in there it could be causing the motor not to spin. I once had that happen to me on my old ski.

I had a similar problem about 3 months ago.

There is a red fuse in the fuse-box labeled alternator or charge, and what I found was the connectors that the blades of the fuse pushed into were mis-shaped, and the bottom one had been arcing over since new from what I could deduce.

I looked at the blades on the fuse, and one showed signs of arcing by a black mark on it.

This alternator line is also in the starter circuit if it has ever been overloaded will push the fuse-holder to its limit current-wise.

I had exactly the same symptoms as you describe, so it may be worth a look at it.

do a voltage drop test on both the positive and negative side

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by pachi33 View Post
    What dealership do you take yours to? I live in the Orlando area and would like to take it to a trustworthy dealership since I am absolutely stumped.
    Call Stick'um(Frank) or Duke @ 321.332.4175..... They will hook you up!! Their shop is in Orlando
    Last edited by Alex13; 05-11-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Wrong phone #..Fixed!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information