Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need advice on 2000 GT - Virage 1200

There is a 2000 Polaris GT-Virage for sale in my area. I don't know anything about polaris skis. I really like there 4 wheelers though. Can anybody tell me anything about this ski? It is completely stock except for some custom paint. Did they come with fuel injection in 2000? Who makes the engine? Any thoughts on this would be great. It has 135 hours and comes with a trailer for $3500.00.
    Thanks,
    Budman

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GreenHulk!
    Best place on the Internet for Polaris PWC information and support.

Click here for Service Manuals, model history, and lots of other useful info.

Where did the 'GT' come from - no such Polaris PWC model

Check what the exact model name is on the side decals?
    Virage
    Virage i
    Virage TX
    Virage TXi

Check the last two digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck - that will be the actual model year.

Carb'ed engines have the spark plugs sticking straight up from the middle of each cylinder. Fuel injected engines have the spark plus angled towards the air intake (flame arrestor cover).

You sure it has custom paint, and a stock engine?
    Has the engine ever been rebuilt?

The engine would be a Polaris 'domestic' engine, either two or three cylinders.

Where are you located?
    Might have other Greenhulk folks nearby
    Update your Profile with your location and model info

Thanks for the reply. Here is the link to the listing. I haven't seen it because it is about 180 miles away.
    http://montana.craigslist.org/boa/1156523060.html

The owner said it hasn't been rebuilt or modified. He said it is a GT but he must be mistaken. Its a 1200 triple. Are these skis reliable or do they have problems? Are parts still available. I have done some searches and some people think the polaris' are great. While others think they junk. Trying to find a good used pwc in montana is tough. Not a lot of them around.
    Thanks,
    Budman

+1
    It's a Genisis, but is it carbed or injected?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    ...I haven't seen it because it is about 180 miles away.
    http://montana.craigslist.org/boa/1156523060.html

The owner said it hasn't been rebuilt or modified...Its a 1200 triple.

Are these skis reliable or do they have problems? Are parts still available. I have done some searches and some people think the Polaris' are great.

While others think they junk...
    Well, I have three Polaris

Click here for Polaris Service Manuals
    , and LOTS of other useful info.

You are going to need a lot more detailed information about that Polaris. Those photos tell almost nothing.

You need to know exactly which model it is. It looks like a Genesis (4 seater).

Find out if it has carburetors or fuel injection.

Clear pictures of the engine compartment would help.

With any used PWC, there are several critical factors;
    What is the compression of each cylinder?
    Has the engine had any water inside it?
    Has the engine been properly winterized?
    If there has been any moisture left inside the engine, then the crank case bearings may have rusted. rusted bearings means engine rebuild time.

What is the service history?
    Get the HIN number from the plate on the rear deck. The last two digits are the model year.
    Call a Polaris dealer and have them check the service history for that HIN number. They can tell if there are outstanding Service Bulletins for that unit.

That is for starters. Click the link above to find the Guide to purchasing a PWC.

When you get to examine the machine in person, there is lots more to check

He said it is carbed. The plugs are straight up.
    thanks for the help
    Budman

If all is good whats it worth?

Budman

+1
    If all is good whats it worth?...
    Is it a Genesis or a Virage TX?

Kelly Blue Book says $3130 for a 2000 Genesis,
    $3040 for 2000 Virage TX

Other Greenhulk guys on here might be able to offer an opinion on the $3500 asking price, but it really depends on the actual condition and history of the individual machine.

In reality, the market pricing for personal watercraft is all over the place. Pricing really depends on what other buyers are willing to pay for similar samples, and what sellers are willing to sell for. This summer could see transaction prices similar to last year, or they could be different.

Remember that this model is nine years old. A well cared for example will have a completely different value than one that has seen rough care, or has suffered damage.

If the trailer is included, that adds something to the overall value, if the trailer itself is in decent condition.

If the trailer is the wrong size for the rather long Genesis hull (hard to tell from the pictures), or has rust issues, or needs tires, wheel bearings, and/or other repairs, then the trailer might not be worth much. Trailer tires that are nine years old are essentially finished, and need to be replaced, even if they still have tread.

You asked earlier if Polaris PWC are good machines. I am biased, but I think the answer is yes, they are. Compared to other brands of the same age, the Polaris models are well designed, fairly easy to maintain, and deliver good fuel economy for their size and performance.

If you are comfortable learning about them, and plan to do your own maintenance, they can be reliable and reasonable cost to operate.

Any PWC can be expensive to repair if it has not been properly maintained or has been damaged.

There are a few things that are common problems. For example, if it still has the original gray Tempo brand fuel hoses, they are known to degrade internally over time, and release a green goo that clogs the carburetors. This carb clogging causes the engine to run lean, which will burn holes through the pistons.

The Tempo fuel line problem affected not only Polaris, but also Yamaha and Sea-Doo. Any PWC that still has the gray Tempo fuel lines needs all the fuel hoses to be replaced, and all the carbs to be be dis-assembled, cleaned and rebuilt. The current condition of the pistons also needs to be checked, to determine if any damage has begun.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking for a long stable ski for two or three people. My GP1200 isn't very stable with two adults. But its awsome with just me on there.

CrazyA,
    I have been looking through pics on the internet and it does look like a genesis. I think the sponsons on the genesis are shorter. Are there any other clues that would tell me if it is a genesis or virage. I don't think the owner knows a lot about it.
    Budman

+1
    ...Are there any other clues that would tell me if it is a Genesis or Virage?
    I don't think the owner knows a lot about it...
    Get the HIN number from the rear deck, and call a Polaris dealer. The HIN number will tell you exactly what model and year it is.

If there is no HIN number, then there is something wrong. The hull may be stolen.

All Polaris HIN numbers begin with PLE, and end with a four digit date code (one letter and three digits). In between is the five digit serial number of the hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris HIN coding.gif 
Views:	252 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	130535  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information