Livin for the weekends

? on plug temps for 97 1100 STX

I purchased a 97 1100 STX about a month ago. It is in over-all good condition- runs strong and is, in my opinion, very quick. Everyone loves it and its a great ride. I am a Kawi lover for life!

3 weeks ago I went to a local Kawi dealer looking for new plugs. The dealer recommended the NGK 10EIX plugs. He told me I needed the cooler plug because the ski has an ADA zxi billet head, Prok flame arrestors. The ski may have other mods that I cannot see but those two are the obvious ones. The dealer indicated that any mod requires a cooler plug. Now I am admittedly no expert on jetskis, plug maintenance, 2-stroke engines, etc... but DO take maintenance extremely seriously. I want what is best for the ski while still getting optimum performance.

My question is this... do I really need the cooler plug? I fear fouling given the cooler temp. I have not pulled the plugs yet to look at them (only been in there a few weeks and maybe 6 hours of actual riding) but I plan to. I live in Arizona and only ride fresh water lakes.

Any thoughts on these cooler temp plugs? Good? Bad?

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

You could always do a try it and see thing. Take it for a spin and check em for proper burn. Do comparo with the plugs that were in there previously.

You're not buying spark plugs from the Kawi dealer are you? You can get the NGKs cheaper from any Checker Auto.

It probably recomends br9es plugs and that is probably what I would run. Those are usually about $3 a plug at any chain parts store. But I would also run 93oct fuel because of the head. That colder plug might cause you to foul plugs more often so I would keep a spare set of br9's in the ski just in case. You probably should check your compression and compare it to factory spec. That would tell you more about how much octane you really need.

Livin for the weekends
    Yep... unfortunately I did buy the plugs at the dealer- and I did feel the pain. Oh well... live and learn, right?

Thanks for the advice on this. I will take a look at the plugs and compare them to the set I removed. I did hang on to those just in case these new ones did not work out or got fouled out on the water.

I will also try to run some 93 octane in there (I assume I just throw some octane boost in there to bring up the octane on premium 91 octane fuel?). Is there somewhere specific I should be looking for 93 octane? Its not something they sell at the local stations here in Phoenix- at least, not that I am aware of.

91 should be fine dont waste your money on octane boost it doesnt work. Atleast not the off the shelf stuff from the parts store.

Thread Information