Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Catch can...

Where the river meets the sea... Rogue Worx's Avatar

Catch can...

Ok, so I know the info is here on the forum... Was checking out my motor and all, put a fitting inline to fog my sc... Had some oil in the air box catch tube thing... Pulled out the catch can, seems to be clean... When I put it back should I cap off the bottom hose and put a section of clear hose with a fitting to drain if I see fuel... The gio has me spooked... Keeping the cover off my belt so I can see and keep it clean... Don't see any problems other that that.

Ok, went back and found kman's post on how to do it... Going to home depot in the morning....

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Worx View Post
    Ok, went back and found kman's post on how to do it... Going to home depot in the morning....
    Can you post that link? I just found the same issue 3 days ago...I dont even know what to search for.

I think all your questions should be answered now with all these good posts and suggestions. But to answer below, yes the drain is the line at the bottom of the catch can that goes to your crankcase. Gas condenses in this catch can and then runs into your crankcase. The catch can is designed to catch oil. On the 07's it collects mostly gas and on the 08's with the removed breather box it catches a mixture of gas/oil. You need to block the drain from the catch can and then seal/block the line that runs to the crankcase. The ocms has a fancy aluminum plug for blocking the line to the crankcase with a hole for bolting to a bracket. However, any plug will do as long as the hose is not left to flop around.
    As for the gas cap, this is NOT the cause of the GIO unless you have leaky injectors.
    You may also just be paranoid due to the number of posts and people with issues but there are machines that do not have GIO even some 07's. You best bet is to just replace this drain line with a long clear hose first and put a loop in it as mentioned before so what's collected in the catch can can't drain back to the crank and you can see the fluid that's collected. On my 07, I was getting almost pure gas collected after every ride but since I changed to the 08 system (removed breather box), I'm now getting a gas/oil mix. Since yours is an 08, I would suspect you will see black fluid in which case you'll have to drain it to see if there's any gas in it. If there is significant gas in it the oil will be very runny and have a strong gas smell. Other way to check is to just leave as is and monitor your oil level very closely. If the level of the oil keeps slowly rising then you have GIO. If not "Don't worry, be happy!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spin21
    KMAN,

Bottom hose is the drain?? Also, what are you doing w/ the original drain line?? Just pinch it and leave it in there?? Any pics wold help. Only 7 hrs on ski but I'm scared to death of GIO. Broke in kinda hard and did 1st oil at 5hrs. Switched to Amsoil synth and also releave gas pressure via gas cap through out my rides and when storing. This is the post, just search "CATCH CAN" and see what pops up.... This was found in "GIO again.."

+1
    it is the opinion of many to leave the sump drain connected to the catch can as this completes the suction and breathing cyle of the engine just have the elbow relocated/welded to the side of the can just above the seam then install a ball valve fitting to the bottom original drain point. and connect your sump drain to the new position on the side.

before doing any major changes to the can rather than replace the sump drain with a clear tube as stated, purchase a garden hose drip feedline elbow push one end onto the sump drain and loop an amount of clear hose up the side of the can and back down to the can fitting, this works as a sight level for whats being collected in your can. then you can truelly see whether you have GIO before stressing about it.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    excellent advise

Yes... Thanks!

So I ended up with a T fitting with a small clear tube pig tail to catch any fule / junk coming through the can... When I was hooking things back up I found the bottom hose to be filled with what seemed to be dirty fuel... I'm thinking more and more I gots the gio... Hope to find out for sure in the near future...

well i only had time to do a partial ocms (i did not put on the larger crank fitting and still have the crankcase breather) all i did was block the crank return hose and put on the drain again NO time to weld the other fitting NOR wanting to spend the money on a modded can (unless someone has one really cheap???) i could run a tee i suppose.....but for now i have it as the ocms install instructions states.......

+1
    The fitting is one of the most important parts in the kit.
    Install it along with the breather hose (08 model) that runs from the crankcase fitting up to the valve cover. Just blocking off the drain line will help with keeping stuff out of your oil but you still have the small stock fitting hindering crankcase evacuation. Changing the crankcase fitting will also give you a chance to check the stock fitting for silicone. The stock fittings are infamous for being full of silicone from the factory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information