Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar

Tool Fabrication Help Needed

As I posted a while back in my WaveJammer build thread, I want to positively align my pump with the engine. I came up with an alignment tool that would fit in an empty set of cases and accept a shaft that would go back to the pump.

Attached is my rather cheesy little engineering drawing of the alignment tool I need to have fabricated. I can't imagine it would be hard to construct for somebody with the right tools. I just need to positively locate the impeller shaft on the same centerline as the engine crank, so the diameters and concentricity are the only really critical dimensions. The overall tolerances are not terribly high, since the crankshaft mates to a rubber damper, but I want to start out with the alignment as correct as possible; I am quite sure I will introduce more than enough variance while actually fabricating and glassing in the pump mounts.

I thought I might be able to get something this simple fabricated fairly cheaply. What I didn't expect is that I can't find anybody to make this up locally at any price! I've hit a couple of automotive machine shops and a couple of tool and die shops, and gotten a flat "we don't do that kind of work" from each one!

Any GreenHulkers know how I can get this made up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine-Alignment-Tool.gif 
Views:	131 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	130058  

Bump.

Anybody?

if nothing else - emachineshop.com

I would be glad to help you out but I wont be back in the states for more than a few days until December so look for a general machine shop or a job shop , they are getting harder to find but there are still a few around , if you cant find anyone to do it shoot me a PM and if I make it home in July I will either do it for you or hook you up with someone that can do it for you .

+1
    Post this here....

www.practicalmachinist.com

A lot of good guys there.

+1
    OR.....

You can align it like everyone else. Put in the engine, and the coupler, WITHOUT the rubber coupler. Align the engine per the manual with feeler gauges and you will be nuts-on.

Save your settings, and install the rubber biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    OR.....

You can align it like everyone else. Put in the engine, and the coupler, WITHOUT the rubber coupler. Align the engine per the manual with feeler gauges and you will be nuts-on.

Save your settings, and install the rubber biscuit.
    It's not just the alignment between the engine and the intermediate shaft, it's the whole thing; I'm converting it to a larger pump.

+1
    couple of quick notes. 5' of dia. 18mm is going to be near impossible to machine and probably why no one will touch it. buy some standard sized bar stock and machine the ends as needed. buy some 3/4 bar (19.05mm) and turn down the ends if you need to.

the next thing, is you will never get one piece of 5' bar stock to be perfectly straight. you might be better off making it in 2 or 3 sections and have everything slide together. cheaper and easier to machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    couple of quick notes. 5' of dia. 18mm is going to be near impossible to machine and probably why no one will touch it. buy some standard sized bar stock and machine the ends as needed. buy some 3/4 bar (19.05mm) and turn down the ends if you need to.

the next thing, is you will never get one piece of 5' bar stock to be perfectly straight. you might be better off making it in 2 or 3 sections and have everything slide together. cheaper and easier to machine.
    Very good points. Thanks for that feedback. You make perfect sense. Like I said, I'm no machinist.

I have the intermediate shaft assembly that I'm going to use on its way to me, so I think I will wait until that arrives and think it through a bit more.

+1
    If you have to have it 5 feet long and be straight you can do it with an oversize bar, might have to go up one fraction and have it turned down between centers and it will be straight. Good luck with the project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information