Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Put back togather

Well i have the cylinder and piston in, carbs and new fuel pump and lines. Hopefully going to the lake tomorrow. Any advice? i set the carbs to be a little rich on all the adjustments. The cylinder and piston are used but in good shape that i put in. do i need to add extra oil to the gas tank for this or not. also should i just take it easy for a while and check my plugs when i get it in the water? It runs really smooth now, i can totally tell a difference from before. will there be any way that i can tell if detonation is occurring while i ride? Thanks for all the help guys couldnt have done it without yall.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cdieter View Post
    ...will there be any way that i can tell if detonation is occurring while I ride?...
    Why are you worried about detonation?
    Have you boosted compression?

Use the highest octane premium gasoline available at the gas station - 91 or 93 octane. Unless there is something incorrect or unusual with your engine, 91+ octane should keep you well away from detonation.

Use piston wash rather to confirm that you are running rich enough to avoid lean burn piston damage. Spark plug color can be misleading, especially with extra oil in the fuel and low-medium RPM engine operation.

Set the carb adjustments a bit on the rich side during break-in until you can clearly read the piston wash after WOT.

When the mag cylinder had a hole in it a few people looked at it and thought that it looked like a detonation problem. others thought it was a lean condition and it did have old gas mixed with new. I thought it was a lean condition due to the origional fuel pump and that the previous owner had never done any maintenance on it. thanks again.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Lean would hole the piston, or eat away at the edges.

Deto would look like a golf ball with tiny craters. Usually around the edges and sometimes on the head.

USUALLY, NOT ALWAYS.....

Set your lows to factory spec.

Maybe turn your highs out another 1/2 turn or so. Better too rich than lean.

If that piston and cyl were used, and mated together, you won't need to add any oil. The rings will be already seated.

Run it lightly for a bit, then check the wash.

All black is BAD.

Clean areas, or areas that have been "washed" should develop near the ports.
    If you see these, you are on your way, and can run a little faster. Then repeat until you get up to WOT.

Good luck

ok thanks alot

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You put that restrictor in that I sent you?

O heck yeah thanks alot xlint. I took it to the lake today and adjusted the carbs for about an hour. i started fairly rich, and went even richer on the first start up, then it wouldnt run so i knew i needed to start leaning it out. once i did this a few times i richened it up a little and then rode for about 20 minutes, it was over 100 today with no cloud cover here beautiful lake weather! It was too bright outside to see my light that fits down into the spark plug hole so ill have to wait till it gets near dark to check the wash. I never ran wot for the 2 plus hours i rode. it ran really well never bogged down after the last time i set the carbs. hope it lasts. thanks again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can throw a blanket or towel over your head and cover the top of the engine to block out the sunlight.
    Then you can see the piston wash pattern better

ok lol thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information