Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rideplate hole fill question

do you need to use a marine epoxy or will just JB weld metal epoxy do? Also i am assuming people are doing this with the ski on the trailer. Are all holes accessible? Won't gravity try to pull the jb weld out of the hole?

Quote Originally Posted by braaapf7 View Post
    do you need to use a marine epoxy or will just JB weld metal epoxy do? Also i am assuming people are doing this with the ski on the trailer. Are all holes accessible? Won't gravity try to pull the jb weld out of the hole?
    use the jb stick works good. i put a little bit of cotton rolled up around the head of the bolt in case you want to take your ride plate off at a later time. makes it easy to get the socket on

+1.. I used wadded up duck tape on the bolt heads..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by braaapf7 View Post

Yep, everyone does it on the trailer. The stick epoxy works real good. Just don't stick so much in the hole that it has a big lump hanging out cause whatever is hanging out, you get to sand off. I wrapped 1/8" nylon cord around the bolt head and then cut circles the same size as the hole out of heavy duty paper plate and put that on top of the cord. This protects the bolt head from becoming encased in epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Yep, everyone does it on the trailer. The stick epoxy works real good. Just don't stick so much in the hole that it has a big lump hanging out cause whatever is hanging out, you get to sand off. I wrapped 1/8" nylon cord around the bolt head and then cut circles the same size as the hole out of heavy duty paper plate and put that on top of the cord. This protects the bolt head from becoming encased in epoxy.

A compressor and little wheel sander takes the extra off super quick!!

i put tin foil over the bolts and by the speedo pick up. and used body filler. have about 10 rides on it and they are all still there. and i think it will be easy to remove.

I used water weld and some washers...

Don't remember what size the washers were. I work for a fastener distributor so I just measured the hole and found a washer on my shelf that would fit right in.

JB water weld on top of the washers and finished off with some light sanding with a sanding disc on a dremel.

When sanding the excess epoxy, I also sanded part of the rideplate. Common sense tells me I should paint the ride plate with spray paint... Anyone do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0060 View Post
    When sanding the excess epoxy, I also sanded part of the rideplate. Common sense tells me I should paint the ride plate with spray paint... Anyone do this?
    +1

I wouldn't paint the RP....

The rideplate is the heat exchanger for the cooling system. If you paint it... you are adding a buffer between the plate and the water(the cooling agent).

If you paint it, it will not cool the coolant as effectively.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information