Custom built 2 place trailer

This is the trailer I built for my polaris ski`s. It is made of TIG welded 1/8 X 2 x 3" Steel tubing. I am still designing my bow posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT00006.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	701.9 KB 
ID:	130137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT00010.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	130138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT00024.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	130139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT00023.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	662.7 KB 
ID:	130141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT00078.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	130142  

There is no VooDoo like BadVooDoo NeVerMind's Avatar
    Nice work. It looks like you could almost put a third stand up on that as well.

+1
    Looks real good.

If I may offer an idea, I would put some cross bracing of sorts on the rear section and also the front section.

Lots of ideas on how, just which one would work best is up to you if you decide on it.

Really dont want to mess up my paint job, but I am open to all suggestions. Rather repaint the trailer than pick up the pieces on I-81.

+1
    The "rectangle" in the rear kinda worries me. I could see it flexing from side to side without any type of gusset or bracing.

I don't want to come off sounding like I am telling you what to do, but I would look at some other trailers for ideas on how to brace it up some.

I copied the main design from a photograph of a manufactured trailer. The rectangle in the rear is pretty stiff. Im more concerned about the area where the 3 tubes meet the rectangle. i have some flex there, but when I put the bow stops on i think it will take care of that.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Haigskid View Post
    I copied the main design from a photograph of a manufactured trailer. The rectangle in the rear is pretty stiff.

I'm more concerned about the area where the 3 tubes meet the rectangle. i have some flex there, but when I put the bow stops on i think it will take care of that.
    I am not a trailer design engineer.

Flex in a trailer can be complex, as the load often bounces and twists the trailer frame not only up and down, but differently from one side to the other, and front to back.

When one wheel hits a bump, that side bounces up, but also the load bounces on the bunks. The front of the PWC above that wheel may be heavier than the back (to help create the tongue weight). So the load forces forward of the axle can be different than behind the axle, causing the frame to torque and flex.

On a bumpy road, you can have one PWC rocking backwards at the same time the other PWC is rocking forwards, twisting the frame.

All these forces create stress at the welds. Flexing and twisting are the things that cause welds to crack over time.

I have no idea how strong your trailer is right now, nor could I estimate how much force or stress your welds can handle.

Even large trailer manufacturers sometimes get this wrong - and have warranty recalls

To your advantage, the PWC models you have are relatively light weight. Some of the current 4-stroke machines are over 1,000lb each when fueled up.

Ok, so I stole the design. Here is the original. i have looked this over from every perspective and while not an exact duplicate it is very similar. Im pretty sure its not built from 1/8 tubing either. Mine is. also, if you look closely at the photo before the bunks were installed you will see that the tubes for the bunk brackets are welded on top of the joints of the rear rectangle corners which serve as a gusset for that frame. I blocked up the front of the Skis and tried to bounce them and the the flex at the mid Joint was eliminated. so I think when it is complete with the bow posts it will be safe. I think they call that trigonometry. However, if anyone thinks im nuts, Please feel free to say so, because sometimes I wonder about myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	130685  

Thread Information