Prepaid Maintenance from Dealer

I was given the option of purchasing a prepaid maintenance plan when I bought my RXT215. I have until the 10 hour service to decide if I want to purchase it. The price includes 3 spring changes and 3 winterizations and the 100 hour supercharger rebuilt, for a price of around $1700 for 3 years. Have any of you ever purchased a prepaid maintenance plan? I have been told that unless I put a lot of hours on it, that it probably would not be worth it and then I was told by another that this would keep the servicing cost at today's cost rather than an increase later. Any suggestions, comments, or experiences? I have 5 hours on my ski now.

+1
    I have never heard of that before. To be honest, changing oil and plugs is hard, you can do it yourself and save some money. Check out these threads:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=809

And when it comes to taking the SC out for the rebuild, I have never done that, because I don't have a SCed ski, but I've read the threads and it doesn't look too difficult. Once you have it out, send it to Jerry for the rebuild.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

Hope that helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dude View Post
    I was given the option of purchasing a prepaid maintenance plan when I bought my RXT215. I have until the 10 hour service to decide if I want to purchase it. The price includes 3 spring changes and 3 winterizations and the 100 hour supercharger rebuilt, for a price of around $1700 for 3 years. Have any of you ever purchased a prepaid maintenance plan? I have been told that unless I put a lot of hours on it, that it probably would not be worth it and then I was told by another that this would keep the servicing cost at today's cost rather than an increase later. Any suggestions, comments, or experiences? I have 5 hours on my ski now.
    My 2 cents: I bought 2 RXTs in '06. I have about 65 hours on each. My dealer would charge approx $150-175. per ski for the annual oil/filter/s-plug change. I joined GH about 1 year ago and found, thru the expert advise of forum members that I could do it myself. I am no mechanic and have a meager tool shed. But the members were correct and I changed the oil myself. After I bought the oil boy pump, I figure each annual maint. (oil/filter & s-plug.) now runs about $75.00 per unit.

Earlier this year, after reading many threads/posts I tackled the job of removing my SC and having Jerry service it. Had the washers changed at about 55 hrs. for $100 or so total.

IMHO, depending on your lifestyle of course (work/family/other hobbies) you may find it hard to put a 100 hrs on your ski in 1 year. Then again, maybe not... It also depends on your local and the length of your "riding season".
    Let the dealer do the 10 hr. break-in maint. and after that take care of it yourself. If I can do it - anybody can. And you'll be way ahead in the $$$ game. Based on your quote of $1,700. for 3 annual services/winterizes/SC rebuild, I figure a $1k is pure profit. I would not make that investment.

+1
    I meant to say you may have a hard time putting 100 hrs on your ski in 3 years.

Also, I had help removing the SC. It proved to be challenging but was do-able. The oil/filter/plug change tho was really simple. I don't change the oil on my own vehicles but had no problem w/the 'Doos.

+1
    my input...just another dealer scam...do it yourself or find a mechanic or someone that can do it way cheaper....i thought about it but it is a ripoff

I am a first time jet ski owner and I appreciate the advice and opinions. Based on the advice given and after reading the posted links, I have decided to not prepay the maintenance. I am going to tackle the maintenance myself after the 10 hour service. The oil changes don't bother me but the supercharger is a worry that I will face when it gets there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dude View Post
    I am a first time jet ski owner and I appreciate the advice and opinions. Based on the advice given and after reading the posted links, I have decided to not prepay the maintenance. I am going to tackle the maintenance myself after the 10 hour service. The oil changes don't bother me but the supercharger is a worry that I will face when it gets there.
    I'm not sure, but if you model is an '08 or newer, I'm under the impression you don't have a "washer" issue like most SC earlier models. If that is the case, it's just a matter of having the SC rebuilt every 75-125 hours, or whatever the current recommendation is. Just be sure to read the threads/post regarding SD Supercharges on this site. Good luck...

that is a lot for those services, good decision not to take them up on it. Also, 3 years is a long time and with the way businesses are closing you stand a chance of them going out of business or trading the ski and losing all of your prepaid maintenance.

Agree with GTXX point.
    Also, THEY are using your $1700 for 36 months..
    The 10 hr maint should be under $250 and you can do
    the rest yourself.

Thread Information