Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1996 Seadoo GTX 3 Seater

Hello,

I've heard many great things about this forum and the people who are regulars here. I wanted to know if anyone can give me a list of maintenance "Must Do's" after a jet ski has been stored for a year and a half. And what are the normal maintenance procedures that I must do to make sure ski is running good. What i've done so far is syphon out the gas out of both of the GTX's and put new gas. Batteries aren't holding charge but look new so I'll probably have to get new batteries. Any additonal infor is much appreciated. I bought these ski's from a friend a couple of weeks ago and the last time we rode them they ran great!!!

Thank you
    Houdini

Download the service manual for that particular year as it contains all that wonderful information you are seeking. Enjoy the ski. I have a 97 and love it.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    heres a lits of things to check or replace.

1. what color are the fuel lines? if they are gray they need to be changed out.
    2. clean the fuel selector valve
    3. clean the carbs if they havent been done
    4. Grease the PTO
    5. new spark plugs
    6. check for corrosion behind the plug boots. (unscrew the boot and check)
    7. change the pump oil
    8. pull the raves and clean the gunk off.
    9.make sure that the bellowson the raves are in good condition.
    10. make sure that the top of the oil pump is screwed down tight(bad experience...cost me a motor)
    11. check oil lines going to motor and to carbs. they tend to crack with age.
    12. change out batteries

thanks for the replies!!!!!!

Hope this isn't a dumb question but I'm fairly new to all this. What about the oil level for the ski? the oil you put in under the front hood. How do you know if there is enough or not enough etc. I know it's for mixture of a 2 stroke engine but I want to be sure that everything is up to par.

Thanks!
    Houdini

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by houdinitattoo View Post
    thanks for the replies!!!!!!

Hope this isn't a dumb question but I'm fairly new to all this. What about the oil level for the ski? the oil you put in under the front hood. How do you know if there is enough or not enough etc. I know it's for mixture of a 2 stroke engine but I want to be sure that everything is up to par.

Thanks!
    Houdini
    I just realized your new...Welcome to GH.

you can usually ride about three tanks of gas out of it before you need to refill. ifit gets low on the dip stick add more. its that simple.

Thanks airbornexp!!!

I looked through the manual and can't find where the dipstick is at.. I know!!!!... what a retred I am...LOL... I just want to be sure that I know as much as I need to know to make sure that things are in tip top shape and from now on stay on a regular maintenance schedule... Should I change the oil filter (If so where is that located)

Thanks for your patience and understanding... I'm new to all this!!

Thanks again!!!
    Houdini

+1
    Thanks airbornexp!!!

I looked through the manual and can't find where the dipstick is at... Should I change the oil filter (If so where is that located)

Thanks for your patience and understanding... I'm new to all this!!
    the dip stick should be the rod that is attached tothe cap of the oil tank. if not you can open the seat and visually seeif you are low.

personally, I have never changed the oil filter. you can find it in line with the line that comes from the tank to the front of the motor. its a little white cylinder.

No problem...ask away.. thats what we are here for

+1
    No dipstick on that boat. You have to eyeball it.

The three gas to one oil tends to hold true.

A general rule of thumb is you can run a tank of gas as long at the oil light is not on (assuming the oil light works). Once that light comes on you will want to add oil before filling the gas tank again.

This very general as you have to figure out each boat as they are not all the same. The way you ride also affects it. The faster you burn fuel the faster you will burn oil.

Until you have operated the boat for a while you would do well to have some oil available just in case. If you stay on top of it you will not have any problems.

Thanks again!

I took the cap off and there is no rod on the end of the cap. And just to verify the cap is under the hood at the top arround the steering.

1. What sparkplugs will I need?
    2. What oil do you recommend or is recommended for the jetpump?
    3. What oil is recommened for engine?
    4. What octane of gas is recommened?
    3. Is the thrust cone replacment a good idea? the one that has been modified to eliminate the rattle?

Thanks!!!!
    Houdini

+1
    See Below

Thanks again!

I took the cap off and there is no rod on the end of the cap. And just to verify the cap is under the hood at the top arround the steering.

1. What sparkplugs will I need? NGK BR8ES
    2. What oil do you recommend or is recommended for the jetpump?
    Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear Oil
    3. What oil is recommened for engine? Bombardier XPSII Synthetic or equiv
    4. What octane of gas is recommened? I run at least 89 and usually 93
    3. Is the thrust cone replacment a good idea? the one that has been modified to eliminate the rattle? You will need to see what is in there. Most of them had some kind of anti-rattle. You may or may not need a new cone but you will want replace the gear oil.

Thanks!!!!
    Houdini

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information