Virage 700 idle problem

Hi all.

I'm having a warm start and idle problem with my Virage. The ski starts fine on choke, but doesn't want to start warm without choke. Choking it gets it started, but it stalls after five to ten seconds of idling. It will idle a bit longer when the low speed needle is adjusted further out, but still dies. Seems to be leaning out at idle. Choking gets it restarted and the pattern repeats.

Runs perfect in midrange and full throttle. Pulled plugs after a brief ride this morning and they are a nice chocolate color.

More info:

- SBT block with about 14 hours on it.

- The plugs are new.

- Rebuilt the carb as part of dewinterizing this year because the ski was exhibiting similar problems at the end of last season. I've gone over the carb as much as I know how. Just tore it down a second time, cannot find any issues.

- Gas tank was filled last fall and stabilized. I'm running 100:1 in the tank in addition to the oil injection.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for Service Manuals
    , and other useful info.

What year is your Virage?

Do you have one or two carbs?

If you have a single carb, is it possible that whatever the problem is, was not addressed when the carb was rebuilt?

I am wondering if you have a leaking crank seal, that is allowing too much air into the engine at idle RPM.

If it is an air leak, you will need to seal up the engine and pressure test it.

2001 Virage, 1 carb.

If I had a leaking crank seal, wouldn't that show up in mid-range and full throttle problems as well?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    2001 Virage, 1 carb.

If I had a leaking crank seal, wouldn't that show up in mid-range and full throttle problems as well?
    Not necessarily. I am not really familiar with the single carb twin engines.

At low RPM, the engine develops more vacuum behind the closed throttle plates. The air leak could be such that as you open the throttle and crank case vacuum decreases, the failing seal leaks less air, and as a percentage of the total air flow through the carbs, the seal's air leak becomes much less.

While it could be an air leak, the fact that you only have a single carb, means that you need to figure out if that carb really is operating properly, or still has a problem.

When you rebuilt the carb, did you find anything that looked wrong, or was noticeably clogged or dirty?
    Are you sure all the tiny internal passages are clear, and the adjustments are correct?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Not necessarily. I am not really familiar with the single carb twin engines.

At low RPM, the engine develops more vacuum behind the closed throttle plates. The air leak could be such that as you open the throttle and crank case vacuum decreases, the failing seal leaks less air, and as a percentage of the total air flow through the carbs, the seal's air leak becomes much less.

While it could be an air leak, the fact that you only have a single carb, means that you need to figure out if that carb really is operating properly, or still has a problem.

When you rebuilt the carb, did you find anything that looked wrong, or was noticeably clogged or dirty?
    Are you sure all the tiny internal passages are clear, and the adjustments are correct?
    Had a small amount of trash on the fuel filter. Not enough to block it. Cleaned that. I shot carb cleaner into whatever nooks and crannies I could find. I used compressed air to blow the jets and passages clear.

There's not much in the way of adjustements. Only a low speed screw and the idle speed adjustment. Have tried starting at the factory recommended 1 1/8 turn for the low speed, working out from there. Gets a little better as I make the low speed richer, but not enough to keep the motor running beyond 15 seconds at idle. Idle speed adjustment doesn't seem to matter much, unless I adjust it so high that the low speed circuit is being moved out of the equation.

Appreciate all the input. Still don't have an answer. May have to take the ski into the local shop.

Hello!
    I have the exact same ski as yours, and also pretty weird problems with warm start. I've already rebuilt the carb, replaced all the fuel lines, filters and spark plugs, and tried all the different low speed screw positions. Pretty much ready to give up and take the ski to a local marine technitian.
    Can you please share if you made any progress on your engine issues since May?

Also, I would greatly appreciate if you can check whether your ski has a temperature sensor on the manifold, right next to the thermostat? Mine has a big brass plug there, and I am not sure if it was there originally or perhaps the temperature sensor was removed by the previous owner...

Thanks a lot!

Thread Information