Question 98 GP800 or 97 GP760: Are they reliable PWCs?

I'm looking at picking up either a 97 GP760 or a 98 GP800 on the weekend - are these models very reliable? We have several Yamaha watercraft (mod Blaster 1, VXR Pro, Squarenose Superjet) and they have been unbelieveably reliable. Maybe the 650 and 701 motors have spoiled me? We do want one ski with some more power, while still being easy for anyone to ride. The Mod Blaster 1 is very responsive, but not many can ride it and it tops out about 45MPH.

120HP out of a twin 800 has me a bit concerned, I understand that I will have to add WaveEater clips to the power valves, but otherwise do they hold up well?

The GP760 has 170 hours and 147 and 149psi in the cylinders and seems to run well.

The GP 800 has 62 hours on the ski and a freshly rebuilt motor with 15 minutes run time (professionally rebuilt top & bottom ends). He says that the motor seized due to the oil pump failing. It is now converted to pre-mix, saving me having to do it, but no wave eater clips as of yet.

Any guidance or suggestions would be great. Have to buy on Sunday.

same basic hulls ( 97 is lighter, 98 heavyer but stronger, 97 needs the added rare trim tabs, 98 had a slight hull change to stop most of the dreded porpoise)...760 is the big sister to your 701's..with 90 hp on tap youll run about 45 mph... the 800 is the little sister to the 2000/ 1200r motor..you will need to add the clips to it for the assurity they give.. parts availability is about the same .. with the 800 you have that 30 hp edge but its not that great ( 50 to 55)those p/v's give you alot more bottom end grunt..

I'm partial to simple motor's (760)but considering the 800 is practicaly new , its prob your best bet... the 800 has more plus's going for it..(hours, power, hull improvements)

Will they transer any WARRANTY on the motor work?

You wont go wrong with the GP hull.. its a better ride than the vxr and much more stable than the b1..though not as stable as a GPR ,but that makes it a more playfull ski..

Thanks for your detailed reply - I appreciate the time you took to answer me! I am in Canada and am driving 11 hours (each way) to get one of these, so your information is highly valued. I am also going to be looking at a 96 Blaster 2 760 in Portland on the way down. Same motor as the GP760 I assume? Probably the same speed too?

The GP800 motor was rebuilt by a local independant watercraft shop in Euguene OR, so too far to come back for repairs even if the warranty was transferrable. They did the rebuild right there, it wasn't an SBT crate engine or anything like that. I will install WaveEaters ASAP if we choose the 800.

We definately want a ski that is fun to ride, but still deep water boardable. So many of my friends are afraid of the Blaster 1 - they get going from shore where I can help balance it as they take off - but the unit has incredible bottom end acceleration if they don't panic and jump off they get a few hundred yards off shore and tip over (ususally slowing down too much). Watching them try and repeatedly reboard it can be fun but really we need something more powerful & fun to replace our aging VXR.

I haven't ridden a Blaster 2, but from what I have read it sounds like a good compromise too? I don't know...

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    [quote=w/rpm500;1050784]same basic hulls ( 97 is lighter, 98 heavyer but stronger, 97 needs the added rare trim tabs, 98 had a slight hull change to stop most of the dreded porpoise)...quote]

Hey, Eric... My 98 has the same tabs as a 97... Late 98 into 99 is when they changed the arse end slightly...

So if you can get them, I would jump on them. You should get the clips for the 800.... I am sure w/rpm500, and I will be happy to guide you thru any tweaking they need....

so let me revise per jeeps info.. if you have a 97-98 with out tabs you will need them..

97 ... they are plates non factory added onto the back, underneath ,that are usually held on with 4 screws...the aluminum plate is cut on an angle about 3 inches wide at one end 1 inch on the other about 7 inches long.. they would mount on the flat where the consecutive steps in the hull stop)

early98.. may have plastic tabs yamaha felt were acceptable, that WILL eventually delaminate and rip off.. these must be replaced with aluminum tabs..

late 98-99... the area that is not filled in the 97-early98, is filled with an extended portion of hull to within about a 2 inches of the 'transom' end..this may also have a aluminum strip installed to improve the hull performance a bit more..

My early 98 came with nothing. However, it uses the 97 style tabs. I am guessing they only put the crappy plastic tabs on their "flagship" 1200.

Here is what I have:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0008.JPG 
Views:	442 
Size:	615.4 KB 
ID:	130525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0007.JPG 
Views:	439 
Size:	604.8 KB 
ID:	130526  

More: The one pic from the side is before the tabs were installed. My ski came with NO tabs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img440.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	130527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img404.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	364.3 KB 
ID:	130528  

Thread Information