Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXTX upgrades, very pleased with the RIVA grate

I had done all the free mods, blocked up the OPAS, filled the ride plate holes, reverse bucket mod, then I installed a catch can and installed the riva grate and took it for a ride. Very pleased, picked up 2mph and the rpm's went up 200. So now at altitude and crappy air (it was 95 degrees and 8% hum, water temp was 72) the rpm is up to 7700 from 7480. The holeshot is amazing, what a difference on my ski. I really like the improvement. Water was like glass most of the day, some minor chop wind was like 10mph later in the day. I will mod the stock intake grate and do some testing this summer to see which I like the best.

My buddy has the same ski and with the free mods I could pull him maybe a ski length or two on the top end. Dead even on the holeshot. Now I can pull him out of the hole and walk on him on the top. He won't stay in it long enough to really see the difference. He doesn't like loosing but he's a tightwad and won't spend $$$ either. I thought he changed the oil but find out that he is yet to change it at 53 hours since new. His buds is talking maintenance and I told him about the SC maintenance and rebuild at 100 hours. He scoffed and said he doesn't believe it. I'll bet before long his ski is junk.

Going to install the kanaflex 4" intake next and see what that does. LOL all the mods I do and I'm just getting the rpm up to where it should be stock!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_hunt View Post
    I had done all the free mods, blocked up the OPAS, filled the ride plate holes, reverse bucket mod, then I installed a catch can and installed the riva grate and took it for a ride. Very pleased, picked up 2mph and the rpm's went up 200. So now at altitude and crappy air (it was 95 degrees and 8% hum, water temp was 72) the rpm is up to 7700 from 7480. The holeshot is amazing, what a difference on my ski. I really like the improvement. Water was like glass most of the day, some minor chop wind was like 10mph later in the day. I will mod the stock intake grate and do some testing this summer to see which I like the best.

My buddy has the same ski and with the free mods I could pull him maybe a ski length or two on the top end. Dead even on the holeshot. Now I can pull him out of the hole and walk on him on the top. He won't stay in it long enough to really see the difference. He doesn't like loosing but he's a tightwad and won't spend $$$ either. I thought he changed the oil but find out that he is yet to change it at 53 hours since new. His buds is talking maintenance and I told him about the SC maintenance and rebuild at 100 hours. He scoffed and said he doesn't believe it. I'll bet before long his ski is junk.

Going to install the kanaflex 4" intake next and see what that does. LOL all the mods I do and I'm just getting the rpm up to where it should be stock!
    Good report on the mods.

I will say though that I think you've got something wrong somewhere if you can't pull 8050 RPM stock. Maybe you've got too much oil in it? Mine never had an issue hitting 8100 bone stock.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthepwner View Post
    Good report on the mods.

I will say though that I think you've got something wrong somewhere if you can't pull 8050 RPM stock. Maybe you've got too much oil in it? Mine never had an issue hitting 8100 bone stock.
    Altitude and air!!

+1
    Dang, 7480 RPM? Where is he Mt Everest?

Seems you would want to repitch your prop so your motor can spin 8100, no?

+1
    I think dr is west of me in new mexico at 5 to 6,000 ft elevation . correct me if I am wrong. glad the grate is working out for you.

+1
    I knew you would like the grate dr hunt!!

I have a RXT-X and my motor is turning 8060-8080, I just put on the riva grate and it seems that the stock grate is better in the rough water. My gps said 68.8 stock and with the riva grate it was at 68.4 so i dont know if i want to keep it on, But i did notice that my rpm was at 8100 with the riva grate. I m going to test more maybe less fuel in the tank closer to empty. I heard the worx grate is better, better than the R&D, But price is 200.00 for the worx. WOW!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Finger View Post
    I have a RXT-X and my motor is turning 8060-8080, I just put on the riva grate and it seems that the stock grate is better in the rough water. My gps said 68.8 stock and with the riva grate it was at 68.4 so i dont know if i want to keep it on, But i did notice that my rpm was at 8100 with the riva grate. I m going to test more maybe less fuel in the tank closer to empty. I heard the worx grate is better, better than the R&D, But price is 200.00 for the worx. WOW!
    the stock grate will be better then riva in rough.the riva shines in good water and should be faster top end over stock. In fact any of the aftermarket grates should yield better top end over the stock grate. .I am sure in flat water your faster.

Quote Originally Posted by paulthepwner View Post
    Good report on the mods.

Yeah, it's the air or lack of it actually. Been through all the rest of the ideas. There are 2 other ski's identical '08's all running the same, or were until I did the free mods and now the grate.

Going to do the 4" intake, probably a wedge also then get the tools, impeller, wear ring and go from there. I believe that will get the rpm's up to aroud 7900 or so, then it'll be time to try a new impeller wear ring and repitch. These mods are simple bolt on's and I'll get some use out of the stock impeller first. Wondering which impeller to go with, the solas 15/22r??

I may do the intake mod removing the screen. Just trying to keep is simple and reliable as I can. I'd love to build a motor, get the cnc head porting and go turbo, but this is way fun and it is an enjoyable ski to ride. If it get all that done, it probably won't be much of a recreational ski as it is now.

My drag car cuts 1.30 60' times so the holeshot isn't quite there yet, but the ski still pulls great, it's a rush!

+1
    Doc, at your altitude I'm thinking the R&D 13/23 would be a good choice for you. It will improve your holeshot and probably won't load your rpm's down as much as the 15/22R. It will also improve your top speed. Have fun kicking your bud's butt. And tell that dumbass to change his oil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information