Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar

holly crap! (carp)

Flying carp throws man from jet ski

The Associated Press
    Posted May 07, 2009 @ 09:49 AM
    Pekin —
    Officials in central Illinois say they’ve conducted their first carp-related rescue.

Detective Mike Sanders of the Pekin Police Department says 22-year-old Tad Newell was riding his new jet ski on the Illinois River Tuesday when he collided with a large, leaping Asian carp. He says Newell was thrown from the jet ski and, when it started taking on water, he couldn’t get it started again.

Sanders says Newell called for help on a cell phone he had with him. Fire Chief Chuck Lauss says his staff soon arrived by rescue boat to save Newell. He says they also snagged the jet ski and towed it to dock.

Officials say Newell was uninjured.

+1
    yeah, some of those suckers are pretty big. 40+ pounds

http://www.spike.com/video/flying-asian-carp/2898309

+1

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Are those things going to be at Starved Rock State Park for the get together?

I may need to mount a "cow catcher" on the front.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Are those things going to be at Starved Rock State Park for the get together?

I may need to mount a "cow catcher" on the front.
    You might-a well do that, if not for the fish for all the BS that will be flying around

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate33 View Post
    You might-a well do that, if not for the fish for all the BS that will be flying around
    Tew funny...

+1
    Thats funny right there Hey we are selling deer catchers for truckers. Man them things can do some major damage too 18 wheelers. This day and time everything is plastic and fiberglass. Had one in the shop two weeks ago, took out the air charger ,ac condenser, radator, not to mention the grill and major damage to the hood. At the toon of about 3800.00 dollars.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Invasive species - restrictions on moving boats in or out of the Illinois River?

This is something I hadn't considered until recently. I am bringing my boats from Canada, and others are transporting theirs from other areas.

Are there any issues with regulations/restrictions on moving boats between the Starved Rock waters and other waters?

In my home area, we have zebra mussels in some lakes, and must decontaminate the entire hull, bilge, and cooling system before putting the boat into a non-infested lake.

What I don't want to have happen is have enforcement see the out-of-area hull ID, and insist on some form of quarantine or decontamination process.

For myself, this question could arise on either crossing of the border - into or out of the US

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This is something I hadn't considered until recently. I am bringing my boats from Canada, and others are transporting theirs from other areas.

Are there any issues with regulations/restrictions on moving boats between the Starved Rock waters and other waters?

In my home area, we have zebra mussels in some lakes, and must decontaminate the entire hull, bilge, and cooling system before putting the boat into a non-infested lake.

What I don't want to have happen is have enforcement see the out-of-area hull ID, and insist on some form of quarantine or decontamination process.

For myself, this question could arise on either crossing of the border - into or out of the US

I have been across the border many times with my skis and it has never come up. Probably because the St Lawrence was one of the first waterways infected and it is on both the US and Canadian borders.

Local Radio show interviewed him on Friday! He wanted compensated! His first mistake is that he rode alone in an area that is known for Asian Flying Carp in it! He is lucky that he didn't get knocked out! Lucky his didn't get a service bill from the local Fire Department!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information