Question Question on submerged engine

I have a new ski (97 gp1200) The guy before me dropped a rod and blew a hole in the case. It messed up the sleeve and also pitted the head badly. In the meantime he got a replacement engine. I am going to use the good top-end replacement engine. The only problem is that I think it was submerged before. It is the outside muck on the paint that gives this away. My question is should I worry about the stator condition? Would it have leaked if the gasket is still intact? can I just replace the stator from the blown-up ski. Can I use the old rings? I am planning on having the cylinders honed, so the rest is just new gaskets and such. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! (i am still looking for new rings if anyone has some)

+1
    Check the crank for rust..

crank is clean, that's why I am using this unit to replace the other one. The other one has the broken rod and misc. pieces inside. My main issue is the starter, which I am gonna replace from the other engine, and the stator assembly, but I dont know if I should worry or not?

+1
    Hate to say it, but if the engine was submerged, I would tear the whole thing apart and inspect everything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Hate to say it, but if the engine was submerged, I would tear the whole thing apart and inspect everything.
    +1 if the engine had water sitting in it,it can damage alot of parts.I would tear down and inspect and clean everything. The crank can have rust that might not be visible.

Update: Took most of engine apart. F**king starter broke! The rest of it (stator) and all look great. Decided whoever owned it just didn't take care of it. Had lots of sand and small shells inside cylinders (where the water flows - probably from running aground) put it in my dishwasher at home (don't tell the wife) and it came out real nice. Will post pics of the rebuild process. Where can i get a new starter - cheap???

Quote Originally Posted by gkecorp View Post
    Update: Took most of engine apart. F**king starter broke! The rest of it (stator) and all look great. Decided whoever owned it just didn't take care of it. Had lots of sand and small shells inside cylinders (where the water flows - probably from running aground) put it in my dishwasher at home (don't tell the wife) and it came out real nice. Will post pics of the rebuild process. Where can i get a new starter - cheap???
    hahahaha man that is GOLD !!!

I think all us wrenchers should add that to the cleaning engines 101 manual !!

love ya work !!

Thread Information