First problem on the water

Took out the 04 Sportster LE DI for the third time since I've owned it and "boom" your worst fear. I'll tell each step as it happened. Stopped and got gas on the way at Shell (boat was on 1/2 tank). Then put the boat in the water and idled out to open river. While idling it seemed the boat smoked more that before but I had fogged the engine after previous trip and hadn't started it since. Got past the no wake zone and took off. Boat ran great. I was running around 45 mph with 4 people in the boat. At 45 mph the rpms were around 6500. Ran for about 20-30 mins. in and out of no wake zones and no problems. The smoking seemed to nornal out too. On the way back I noticed I was running a little over 40 mph at a little more than 3/4 throttle and if I gave it full the engine didn't seem to go any faster. We then entered another no wake zone for a few minutes and the took off again. After about 2 minutes at 3/4 throttle, the boat was running great, all of a sudden the engine began to cough and sputter. I thought I make have run over a rope and sucked it up and quikly got off the gas. I then tried to slowly move around and the engine finally died. After a few minutes I got it cranked again but it ran terrible. We were pretty far out so it decided as long as it was running I would try to get it back. I had to run it around 2800-3000 rpms to limp back. A few times I gave more gas and it would sputter and shake. It took about 20 minutes to get back to the ramp like this and at some times I thought it was going to die. Funny thing was at times it seemed to straighten out and run ok. Anyway, I made it back and got it home. I looked in the engine compartment expecting to find scrap metal, and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Pulled the plugs and they seemed ok, they did have black on the diode and on the ceramic on the inside of plug. The intake grate was clear. One thing I might mention is that I notice a red hose last night that was in bad shape on the bottom of it where it had been rubbing the engine bracket (which is rusted and rough). It comes from under the fuel rail (picture 1) and goes to the back of the boat and ties into something (picture 2). I don't know what it is for and if it had failed if it could have caused my problem. Any ideas would help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9330.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	130415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9329.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	130416  

Bummer!!! Just in time for Summer!!
    Lets try and narrow it down to a few things (pics)
    Was there any alarms? Temp etc.?
    Is the boat oil injected? had oil?
    You can goto the OEM parts section and look at the microfiche.
    Sorry for lame response.

No alarms, plenty of oil and fuel injected.

Really don't know, but try posting in the 2stroke section. They are very knowledgeable. It is the same engine so they can tell you what to look for.

How was the battery charge when you got home?

I had an issue with mine when I would run great for 30 minutes to an hour, and the right engine would start stalling, and run less and less. It ended up being the magneto. It wasn't charging the system, so there wasn't enough juice to spark.

I haven't had a good chance to look at it. I had called a dealer today and he said he thought it might be the regulator. He claims that is a common problem on that boat. He told me how to check it with a volt meter while its running. The battery is brand new but that doesn't mean anything 'cause I had a new motorcycle go out in the first year. I plan to check it out in the morning and even bring the battery back to Autozone and have them load test it. I even bought a conmpression tester today and will run that also. I'll post my results.

Quote Originally Posted by lashk View Post
    I haven't had a good chance to look at it. I had called a dealer today and he said he thought it might be the regulator. He claims that is a common problem on that boat. He told me how to check it with a volt meter while its running. The battery is brand new but that doesn't mean anything 'cause I had a new motorcycle go out in the first year. I plan to check it out in the morning and even bring the battery back to Autozone and have them load test it. I even bought a conmpression tester today and will run that also. I'll post my results.
    Not knowing much about your boat, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Does that thing have a fuel filter or water seperator?

KH

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    I'd say Clogged Injector or bad FPR.

Here's what I've found today. Ran the engine with rectifier unplugged and didn't notice a difference. Changed plugs, no difference. Had battery tested at autozone, battery is good. Checked compression, 135psi in both. Impeller was clear.

Thread Information