Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Delaminating hull?

Well I was in the process of replacing superchargers which is a story in itself and (I may explain more later if it does not get fixed) when i dropped a tool in the hull. So I jacked the front of the trailer up so the tool would slide back. In doing this I notice water coming out of the bottom of the hull like tear drops. Well it has been doing this for about 20 minutes now and I have about a half gallon of water that has been taking out of the hull. So is my hull done for? What can be done? Please let me know I am about on my last straw with this ski and this may do it for me.

I am in the process of uploading a video to better explain but having probs with that to.

+1
    What Ski and where is the water raining from?

+1
    Sorry its a 2006 rxp. I will try to explain to the best of my ability. You have the two little canals that run on both sides of the pump shaft. Well it is coming from the waterbox side..its not directly on the bottom but coming from the ledge of that on the foot well side.

+1
    Video of problem..

[/URL]

+1
    There are intentional voids in the hull at the rear. Yours is not the typical delam issue most people talk about. I don't think you have a problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    There are intentional voids in the hull at the rear. Yours is not the typical delam issue most people talk about. I don't think you have a problem.
    Excellent..I just don't want there to be osmosis of the hull or fiberglass which will eventally lead to delamination. I use to work on boats and when we would find water in the transom of the hull it usually meant the whole boat was compromised and could lead to bigger issues (stringers bad, massive weight gain, etc..). Is there something I should do to help prevent this? I try to dry my hull out after each outing to the best of my ability, but is there something I should be doing more? My biggest issue is that I have not had the ski out since last summer and I thought I had all the water out, so I am wondering that since this water has been in there all winter if my whole hull is waterlogged? It was stored indoors and heated..

+1
    We have two layer hulls ... outer hull and inner hull and there is a cavity between them filled with flimsy foam/stryofoam junk. The inner hull has a number of holes in it that can allow water in and it then stays between the hulls ... the worst are the six holes that have quick fasteners in them to hold down the rubber mat under the gas tank. Due to these in particular I would bet that MOST RXPs have water in their hulls ... if any RXP gets any water in their hull (and most do, due to the carbon seal and other normal usage) that water WILL go down those holes and get trapped between the inner and outer hulls.

I pulled my motor and gas tank and cut open and reinforced my hull and found a number of issues. Thing is, the water between the hulls is very common (most owners have no idea) but does not seem to cause a problem actually ... there are NO wood stringers, nothing to rot ... altho it would be better to have no water in there, it does not seem to cause major issues. My repair thread with pics: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=delam

I bet if all RXPs were tilted quite high, there would be water running out of the small mounting holes (for stock resonator, waterbox, etc) in the rear of the hull. When I finished the work on my hull I sealed ALL holes with epoxy resin to completely seal them (after fully draining and drying my hull).

After all that, just my opinion, but no big worry about the water ... instead keep a very close eye on the bottom gelcoat for cracks and gelcoat flaking off ... that must be fixed or a delam might happen.
    Last edited by Vern; 05-10-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added link

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    We have two layer hulls ... outer hull and inner hull and there is a cavity between them filled with flimsy foam/stryofoam junk. The inner hull has a number of holes in it that can allow water in and it then stays between the hulls ... the worst are the six holes that have quick fasteners in them to hold down the rubber mat under the gas tank. Due to these in particular I would bet that MOST RXPs have water in their hulls ... if any RXP gets any water in their hull (and most do, due to the carbon seal and other normal usage) that water WILL go down those holes and get trapped between the inner and outer hulls.

I pulled my motor and gas tank and cut open and reinforced my hull and found a number of issues. Thing is, the water between the hulls is very common (most owners have no idea) but does not seem to cause a problem actually ... there are NO wood stringers, nothing to rot ... altho it would be better to have no water in there, it does not seem to cause major issues. My repair thread with pics: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=delam

I bet if all RXPs were tilted quite high, there would be water running out of the small mounting holes (for stock resonator, waterbox, etc) in the rear of the hull. When I finished the work on my hull I sealed ALL holes with epoxy resin to completely seal them (after fully draining and drying my hull).

After all that, just my opinion, but no big worry about the water ... instead keep a very close eye on the bottom gelcoat for cracks and gelcoat flaking off ... that must be fixed or a delam might happen.
    Thanks for the help and advice. My biggest worry was it was going to soften the fiberglass and could lead to the delam or weakening of a motor mount..etc.. I felt around everywhere I could in the inner hull for soft spots and felt nothing. My ski looks like it might be down for most of the summer now do to some other issues, so maybe I will pull the tank and start that process. Thanks again!

On my RXT i had the same problem at the same spot like yours.
    what i did was put up the front of ski and with a vacuun cleaner ( water type vacuun cleaner) i remove all water i can. i take time even days for that, remove and wait for a while, remove again and wait again and so one....... at the end was about 2 liters of salt water.
    hugo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information