Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

X4 running with no grate

Will I run into any problems with running no intake grate? Will it be more prone to sucking up large debris? My ski had an R&D grate when I bought it with a stripped out screw. The grate was also cracked by one of the front bolt holes. I ended up having to drill one of the screw heads off to get the thing out. I heard that the R&D grates were usually a 1-2 mph topend loss. I ride mostly on the Maumee River so I don't have to deal with large chop. Thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH! Yes, you will run the risk of sucking up larger debris but you ride on a river so i would definitely at least have a stock one but not necessary. If you get another I would add loc-tite to the bolts to avoid losing another one

hey,welcome to the forum, i heard running without the grate for the x4 was the best for hookup and speed... by the way my mom just desinged a house in perrysburg. It was just built, it is on maple street i believe and it is right on the river. I was down there a few times. It was just built less than a year ago, its massive, lk 10,000 square feet or something.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If you run over an ice bag (more prone to be in water) any grate will still suck it up. You just have to pay attention and avoing floating debris. Run it without a grate, it will actually hookup better than with the stock grate.

Enjoy, and welcome to GH!

+1
    Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be running no grate. Hopefully I can get this thing over 60. When I bought it, it had R&D trim tabs and grate so I'm sure those were scrubbing a lot of topend. It ran 58.0 on the gps at 6970 with those on. I also need to hookup the stinger w/jet works on the Rossier pipe and remove the Water Reg.

Chaserxp215 - I live 2 blocks from the launch on Maple. Is that the Taylor house you speak of? I pass it about twice a week.

+1
    the most you'll get stock wise is 58mph ish.....the fastest i've gotten with my stock xp 800 was a little over 59 gps'd going down river with no intake grate

yep thats the taylors

so if running no grate improves hookup and speed, should I just take of my stock grate if im running in chop a lot out in Lake Michigan? Would this slow down the acceleration?

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    so if running no grate improves hookup and speed, should I just take of my stock grate if im running in chop a lot out in Lake Michigan? Would this slow down the acceleration?
    i think you need a grate in chop for hook up

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Yes, take it off. Use some silicone sealer and reinstall the front bolts though, unless you want the hull to get full of water.

Acceleration will be better, because water can enter the tunnel quicker without the grate in place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information