Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to synthetic oil for 12f

I have never put synthetic oil in my 12f, and I just want to know a little more about it. I've been hearing about that Amsoil synthetic, and I would like to know if it could be used for my 12f and what type I need to purchase? I'm sure it helps the ski by keeping engine temp down, but does it produce and type of noticeable performance change?

Amsoil.com. 10/40 Marine grade. No real performance gains. Better engine lubrication/less wear/longer life.

How much of this oil am I supposed to use in a change and what filter should I use.

+1
    You can use the factory oil filter. Yes, use the AMSOIL 10w-40 Marine Synthetic Oil. http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...storefront/wcf

Save up to 30% off retail prices, by becoming a preferred customer.
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...n/preferredapp

So I was running the numbers and for a case, 12 quarts, 6 I assume for each oil change. Anyways, the case is 118.xx and with 30% off, your looking at $83 for the case. Is $41.50 about the norm for a synthetic oil change on the ultra 250/260?

How much is regular 10w30 oil for this thing? Does it have to be marine?

800AMSOIL4U...you may be a little biased .

+1
    So when did most of you change the oil filter for the first time? First oil change, 50 hours, etc.? How bad does the filter get when new?

I was wondering that too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TruStud View Post
    So I was running the numbers and for a case, 12 quarts, 6 I assume for each oil change. Anyways, the case is 118.xx and with 30% off, your looking at $83 for the case. Is $41.50 about the norm for a synthetic oil change on the ultra 250/260?

How much is regular 10w30 oil for this thing? Does it have to be marine?

800AMSOIL4U...you may be a little biased .

For the preferred customer pricing you are within a couple of dollars. You can run petroleum or synthetic oil in that ski. Just try to find a Marine NMMA FC-W approved oil. Car oils and marine oils are not the same. Marine engines operate under high loads and RPMs for extended periods of time, causing traditional automotive oils to break down and lose viscosity. To ensure good protection, the NMMA set minimum shear stability requirements for FC-W. AMSOIL Formula 4-StrokeŽ Marine Synthetic Motor Oil greatly exceeds the FC-W shear stability requirements, outperforming competitive oils to deliver a superior lubricating film. Formula 4-StrokeŽ Synthetic Oil also contains robust anti-wear additives that further reduce wear in metal-to-metal contact regions. While automobile engines normally operate at around 2,500 rpm, outboard motors can run twice as fast, requiring greater levels of wear protection and better bearing durability than automobiles. In addition, prolonged idling and low operating temperatures contribute to fuel dilution, further thinning the oil. Marine engines are prone to rust, leading to uncontrolled wear and premature engine failure. However, good rust protection is not natural to engine oil. It comes only by design. Hope this helps.

Ya know what would really help? How bout some free samples!!!!!

Do you really need the full 5.3 qts that the manual says or is just 5 enough? I would like to not use more oil than I have to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information