Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No spark on center cyl - 1200 slx

I got it together today and got it started. It ran very rough...but it ran. I ran it on the hose for a while (pump is not hooked up) and checked the wash. The mag and pto are perfect, but the center was waaaaaaaaay off. (center crank bearing is what seized last summer). I then confirmed that I do not have spark on the center cyl. I already tried taking the boot off and cutting off some wire, that did not work.

Where do I start? I'm suspecting the coil possibly?

hi mate have you got a ohm meter. remove black box cover, undo black earth wire. set ohm meter at 20,000. put i think pos lead on black wire to coil and stick neg lead in ht lead with plug removed should read 4850 there abouts if not. coil playing up or where leads goes into coil check. if you get a reading it could be stator. the tests on coil is in manual.
    id diss batt before carrying out

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post
    ...I do not have spark on the center cyl...
    2000 SLX 1200 - Work through the diagnostics in the 2000 Polaris Service Manual.

It could be the ignition coil, or it could be the CDI, or the stator. Start with the coil, and do your multi-meter checks carefully.

did the check on the coil. I got each cylinder to be about 1ohm, the manual says that they should be around .35ohms. So, I'm assumint that my coil is bad.

Where can I get new wires and a new coil?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post
    did the check on the coil. I got each cylinder to be about 1ohm, the manual says that they should be around .35ohms. So, I'm assuming that my coil is bad.

Where can I get new wires and a new coil?
    Measuring low ohm values is tricky.

What does your meter read when you simply touch the probes together? Whatever that value is, you must subtract it from the reading you get when measuring the coils.

I expect that your ohm-meter is reading about 0.6 ohms too high, and your ignition coils are just fine.

I measured the coil with a Fluke 87 meter with good leads. I was getting under .1 ohms from the stator ground to the block. It's a accurite measurement. I'm just not sure how these things normally fail. The pto has weak spark, center has none, and mag is good.

1.1-1.2 is about what the pto and center were reading. That's far off the .35 spec.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    ...I'm just not sure how these things normally fail. The pto has weak spark, center has none, and mag is good.

1.1-1.2 is about what the pto and center were reading. That's far off the .35 spec.
    Well, if you are getting new plug wires, get the coil pack at the same time.

Still a good idea to check the stator coils and Hall Effect sensor using the service manual checks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris domestic Hall Effect Trigger Coil testing 2000 Virage-SLX-Pro1200-Genesis.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	130681  

Shes runnin a little rich.

I'm going to go though the stator test today, and probably buy a new coil and wires...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information