trouble separating stator pump from wear ring

97 SLTX - Could someone please advise on removing the stator pump from the wear ring? Steering nozzle has been removed but I cannot get the stator to separate from the wear ring.

+1
    sometimes, i have to give them a good "tap". i use a plastic dead blow snap on ahmmer. ( so as not to do damage to the pump).

give it some taps on each side, and it keep pulling / working it back and forth. it will come.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If dead blow tapping doesn't do it, you can try some penetrating oil. Let it soak for a good while, and reapply every few hours.

Or apply some torch heat around the perimeter of the wear ring where the rim overlaps the stator rim. Just don't overcook it.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I like to step on the wear ring to hold it in place.

Then smack the stator with a hammer and screwdriver.

Work around the ring. Left, right, top, bottom until it comes off.

getting it apart

mine was really tuf. i sprayed it with liquid wrench penetrating oil several times and let it sit. then i heated it all the way around with a torch. here's a link to a post that k447 sent me that has a good picture of the parts. you want to heat the outside lip.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=89151&page=2

then i took a cold chisel ( a little sharper, thinner edge than a screwdriver) and worked my way around putting the sharp edge directly on the pump extension joint. tap gently but firmly. be patient and keep going around. eventually and at first you'll think you are imagining it but you will begin to see a little gap. spray more oil, heat again, and then take the screwdriver to it instead of the chisel. it'll come
    Last edited by pslt780; 05-13-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    When I was trying to separate the wear ring from the stator on my 785, I tried pounding it with a rubber mallet over and over and over. There was not much of a gap forming so my brother and I had to think about it some. Keep in mind, this is only if the wear ring is just a pump extension but I drew up a picture for a stock jet assembly that is removed from the ski.

We came up with the idea of holding the assembly straight up and down so the stator is on bottom and the wear ring is on top. Get someone who is decently strong (a male friend, just not your girlfriend, ect...) and have them old the wear ring only up in the air over a towel or something to cushion the stator and impeller for when it separates. Grab you a piece of wood long enough so that you can put it on the nose of the impeller and be able to hit it will a mallet or hammer. Just keep giving it some fast and hard hits on the wood. This should eventually push the wear ring and stator apart. It took me two hard hits and the wear ring and stator separated.

See my lovely Microsoft Paint picture below.

Now if there is an extension on the pump assembly that is the wear ring, kind of do the same thing and just hold the assembly by the wear ring instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wear Ring Removal.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	131234  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    ...piece of wood long enough so that you can put it on the nose of the impeller and be able to hit it will a mallet or hammer.

Just keep giving it some fast and hard hits on the wood. This should eventually push the wear ring and stator apart.

It took me two hard hits and the wear ring and stator separated...
    That method will get the sections apart...

But what you are doing is asking the ball bearings in the stator to transfer the shock force from the hammer through the impeller to the stator body. Those bearings are not designed for that kind of axial shock/impact loading.

I don't know for sure whether the bearings would be damaged - I guess it depends on how much force you actually apply using the hammer, and the quality of the bearings

If you plan on changing the stator bearings anyway, then I suppose there is less downside, as long as the nose of the impeller isn't deformed by the wood impacts

I prefer to ease the sections apart using chemistry, penetrating oil, heat, some mild tapping around the seam, and patience.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    That method will get the sections apart...

But what you are doing is asking the ball bearings in the stator to transfer the shock force from the hammer through the impeller to the stator body. Those bearings are not designed for that kind of axial shock/impact loading.

I don't know for sure whether the bearings would be damaged - I guess it depends on how much force you actually apply using the hammer, and the quality of the bearings

If you plan on changing the stator bearings anyway, then I suppose there is less downside, as long as the nose of the impeller isn't deformed by the wood impacts

I prefer to ease the sections apart using chemistry, penetrating oil, heat, some mild tapping around the seam, and patience.
    You do have a point. Perhaps I over exaggerated the "hard hits" part. You have to realize that the person that is holding it won't be able to hold it sturdy enough that all the impact is transferred. I suppose you can use this method as a last resort to getting the sections apart. If you really wanted to be safe, just take the impeller off, find a socket that would fit over the stub shaft threads but would instead transfer the impact to the stator bearing body instead. Just a thought.

Thread Information