Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SC on water, TT on land

best exhaust sound solution?

I'm installing an aftermarket intercooler, and I have been reading some threads talking about removing the resonator causes an annoying sound around 3,000 rpms. Has anyone come up with a simple solution to not having the factory resonator in but having a good sound? Maybe there is some kind of smaller sized resonator that can fit side the engine compartment without having to do much fabbing, or a small muffler like a short sized glasspack that can fit in there.

Also, I noticed that Riva's exhaust has a fitting to have water running through it to help quiet the sound. Does this really work? If so, I was thinking of seeing if it would help resonate the annoying frequency by adding it into the stock exhaust.

well i like the sound it makes regardless.. and not many people cruise at the speed to cauase the resonating sound.. because it is basically a plow speed. Half on plane. usually either at idle speed or on plane doing at least 30-40 mph and then it u dont get the rresonating. if you really dont like it put a rear exit exhaust kit on that should get rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by PTLanza View Post
    I'm installing an aftermarket intercooler, and I have been reading some threads talking about removing the resonator causes an annoying sound around 3,000 rpms. Has anyone come up with a simple solution to not having the factory resonator in but having a good sound? Maybe there is some kind of smaller sized resonator that can fit side the engine compartment without having to do much fabbing, or a small muffler like a short sized glasspack that can fit in there.

Also, I noticed that Riva's exhaust has a fitting to have water running through it to help quiet the sound. Does this really work? If so, I was thinking of seeing if it would help resonate the annoying frequency by adding it into the stock exhaust.
    yank that pos resinator out. then go and gut the waterbox NOW YOU HAVE SOUND

Remove the res box, if you don't want a thru hull go with riva free flow stock exit and shorty water box with no baffles, sounds the dogs b's

+1
    Its not that bad. How much time do you actually spend at 3000 RPM? Im normally at idle or 5000 and above when riding. Rarly am I holding 3000 RPM for an extended period.

SC on water, TT on land
    well I was thinking about doing something kind of simple. Buying a resonator like this http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VIB1792.htm

with just a 2.5" silicon coupler on the 90 degree hard pipe going out the exhaust exit, it looks like you could put that right in. I may give it a try and see how it sounds.

+1
    down here with all the wake zones,that drone is brutal,do a search,i recall someone converting over to the X ski's setup

+1
    No sense worrying about it until you pull the resonator and hear it for yourself. Personally, I like the sound. The only thing that annoys me is that it only makes it at 3000 rpm. And your stock system already injects water into the exhaust. That's one of the reason's for putting a hose on it when you run it in the driveway.

PTLanza if you decide to install that aftermarket resonator keep us posted -- i have mine removed for a XS IC and that sound at 3 grand is really a pain --i want to try to keep my ski quiet and look like a "sleeper" but with the baffle out i can't hide it

SC on water, TT on land
    i probably am going to try it out. Will probably order one tomorrow. I removed a resonator from a car exhaust once before and that raspy sound drove me nuts, so I'm definitely down for giving this a try.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information