issues with running in water

I have a 98 SLXH ski. It will start and run great out of water. I can go full throttle out of water with no problem, however when I drop it in water it will idle, but when I try and hit the gas it boggs and stalls instantly. If I push open the choke, hit the gas just a little, then close it and open the throttle at the same time it will take off and go, however I'm only hitting 42-45kmh on flat water (is this right?). It idles around 1600 in water, 3000 out. I had a guy take the carbs apart last year, and when he put everything back together this is what it did. Am I running too rich? I'm having trouble finding the adjust screws - and knowing which way to adjust. Any help is appriciated. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You have this service manual - correct?

It sounds like your carb adjustments are incorrect, but you may also have other problems.

Do NOT run the engine hard until you get this problem corrected, as you risk severe engine damage from lean burn (holes in pistons).

The service manual outlines where the carb adjustment screws are, and how to set them. You turn each screw in until it gently bottoms out, then count the turns (or fraction of a turn) out to the correct setting.

To record what you have now, count each 1/8 turn in until the screws bottom out (gently, not firmly). Record the turns for each screw on each carb.

When the carbs were 'taken apart' last year, was a genuine Mikuni rebuild kit used? What parts were replaced?

+1
    I believe the SLXH has Keihin carbs....

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You have this service manual - correct?

It sounds like your carb adjustments are incorrect, but you may also have other problems.

Do NOT run the engine hard until you get this problem corrected, as you risk severe engine damage from lean burn (holes in pistons).

The service manual outlines where the carb adjustment screws are, and how to set them. You turn each screw in until it gently bottoms out, then count the turns (or fraction of a turn) out to the correct setting.

To record what you have now, count each 1/8 turn in until the screws bottom out (gently, not firmly). Record the turns for each screw on each carb.

When the carbs were 'taken apart' last year, was a genuine Mikuni rebuild kit used? What parts were replaced?
    Thanks for the response.

I doubt a rebuild kit was used, so I'm guessing it just wasn't adjusted properly in water. I don't plan to run it without getting it fixed. Anyone know where I can find someone who works on these in my area? I'm in the Northern delaware region, no problem with reasonable travel (120mi)

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post

yes

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrYsTaLiZeD View Post
    yes
    If the carbs were not properly rebuilt, then they need to be done again.

I wonder if Randy at Watcon does Keihin rebuilds?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

rebuilds

randy does and so do i.i guess the problem is getting them off,look to see if your ski still has the grey fuel line if so get it replaced immediately,all of it,could be something as simple as the accel pump isn't primed and sometimes they won't self prime,using a flat blade screwdriver to fully depress the plunger almost always gets it reprimed,and sometimes after a winter storage you'll have to reprime it this way as well

Thread Information