Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Starting Issue (FX SHO)

Took my ski out on the river yesterday. Ran perfect all day. Stopping and starting fine. Then pulled up to a mud bank when it was time to go to go get my trailer and pull around.

Didn't start the ski to get it out. Just cranked it onto the trailer with the ratchet. Went to start it on the trailer to blow all the water out and it started to crank then stopped. Tried again and it won't even turn over. I can hear the starter trying to crank but it just gets out one "click" like it's binding up. If I hit the start button a few times real fast I can hear "click... click... click...".

First impression was something was in the pump. Pulled the grate.... nothing. I've been wanting to re-pitch my prop so I just decided to pull the entire pump. I did and it spins freely.

Sooooo... Now with the pump out, is it safe to try and start the engine? Any ideas what could be causing it? Starter?

The battery is fine. Has a full charge and cycles the bilge every time I try and start it. It's like something it binding up and it won't even crank.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Took my ski out on the river yesterday. Ran perfect all day. Stopping and starting fine. Then pulled up to a mud bank when it was time to go to go get my trailer and pull around.

Didn't start the ski to get it out. Just cranked it onto the trailer with the ratchet. Went to start it on the trailer to blow all the water out and it started to crank then stopped. Tried again and it won't even turn over. I can hear the starter trying to crank but it just gets out one "click" like it's binding up. If I hit the start button a few times real fast I can hear "click... click... click...".

First impression was something was in the pump. Pulled the grate.... nothing. I've been wanting to re-pitch my prop so I just decided to pull the entire pump. I did and it spins freely.

Sooooo... Now with the pump out, is it safe to try and start the engine? Any ideas what could be causing it? Starter?

The battery is fine. Has a full charge and cycles the bilge every time I try and start it. It's like something it binding up and it won't even crank.

check your battery terminals if you havent already done that happen to yesterday on my h/o its clicks but no role and would start i think its my terminals

+1
    Battery cables are fine. All dash functions work and bilge pump cycles as normal.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Theres no problem starting the Yammis with the pump and shaft out....after doing all the things you've already done, take a quick look down into the hull by your coupler and make sure there's no tool or anything else binding up rotation of the coupler (trust me...i've seen it on another SHO).

After that i would pull the spark plugs out and see if the motor cranks that way w/o compression.......if it does, you have a weak/dying starter. If it doesnt, you've got some investigating to do.....

...or the dealer does......hower you want to play it.

Good luck man....

Just jump it off a car battery. It will be a low battery. My HO does it regularily. Try it

Battery cables are fine. All dash functions work and bilge pump cycles as normal.

Alarm?

+1
    Fixed it. I'll only tell you what is was if you guys promise not to make fun of me. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Alarm?
    +1 haha

+1
    Fixed it. I'll only tell you what is was if you guys promise not to make fun of me. lol
    This outta be good. Kind of reminds me of my run away SHO from not pinning the trailor hitch story I never tell.

+1
    I don't know how in the hell it got locked in between the time I pulled it out of the water and then tried to blow the water out but it did. I must have accidently bumped the lock button.

Even stupider... I hit what I thought was the unlock button probably 4 times. Finally today I tried it one more time and looked down at the key fab and noticed I had been pushing the wrong button. I thought, "there's no way I'm actually that stupid. Yep... I am."

Still makes me wonder though; why the dash lights come on and the bilge pump cycles when the damn thing is locked.

One good thing came from all of this though. It got me to pull the pump out so now I will go ahead and re-pitch the prop while it's out and see where that get's me.

Thanks to SHObiz for helping me (PMing instructions) get the pump off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information