Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gp1200r boggs down bad, please help!

Okay, I searched for this and couldn't find a definite answer. We have an 01' Gp1200r that's all stock with the exception of a D-Plate. When you first start it and idle out of the cove it idles fine and is smooth. Then once you get on the gas, pulls hard to about 35mph and goes boooooaaaaarrrrrrr and wont go above around 5000 rpm or 40mph. if i slow down and try it again it still boggs real bad. the only way to fix it is to stop and idle for a while then go agian and it just repeats. pulls hard from the start and runs fine then, boaarrrrrrrrrrr. Any ideas? The power valves seem to be working(they reset when you turn the engine on and off) and the carbs were recently rebuilt. Not sure where to go from here almost seems like its not getting enough fuel

+1
    check pm

+1
    Check to make sure that the pulse line hoses are hooked up correctly. Its the 3 hoses that come off the cases to the carbs. Since you had the carbs recently rebuilt, might not have put them all on, mainly the front one, its easy to forget that one since its a pain in the butt.
    SHOOTER

Catching Up
    I have a similar issue but on the opposite end of the spectrum. I picked up a ski with a blown engine and replaced it & had the carbs rebuilt.

If you accelerate slow it will spit and sputter between 3,K - 4,K rpm's and bog. Sometimes it will get above 4,K, and once it does it runs great. I can slow back down and accelerate slowly and it will go through the 3 - 4,K band with out much issues.

If I'm at idle and hammer it, it falls all over it's face and will die sometimes.

Now I'm just got through the break in with premixing on the first 2 tanks, so I don't know if that had some to do with it.

Any thoughts?

+1
    Sounds to me like the PV's are not opening. Have you checked them?

Catching Up
    No I haven't checked the PV's. I'll do that

Something else that it's been doing and I've been scratching my head over. Is at start up, I can crank on it all day long and choke it and it won't start at all. I can spray some carb cleaner in it and it will fire right up and run fine. I can stop it for an hour so, come back and it fires up just fine. If I let it sit over night and come back the next day, it's right back to not starting.

Any thoughts? BTW the weather has been in the mid 80's so it's not just really cold.

bump for more ideas.

i wanted to check the fuel flap today but its been raining since i got off work

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    find a parking ramp

+1
    Who rebuilt your carbs? Did you have the problem before the rebuild?

Vic
    +1
    I had the same problem with the same ski and same set up. I had to rebuild the carbs. You have to be careful now that they are putting ethanol in the fuel, if your ski is going to sit for periods of time you need to be using startron in your fuel (its a full stabilizer that prevents the ethanol from breaking down the fuel). Once you get it straighted out I would also start burning up the fuel in the carbs before putting it back in the garage (start ski and turn the fuel off and run it out of gas)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information