Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a little help

Hi,

OK, I have 2002 virage,everything is stock on it.It has always ran great,no probs. of any kind.I took her out on saturday and she was running great,until i got stuck in some shallow water and it was sucking in mud.After that it wouldn't idle(kept dying),but when i would finally get it going it at faster speeds it ran fine. It just wouldn't idle at slow speeds.Because it was fine until i hit mud,makes me think it is not a carb issue. Would a clogged thermostatic popoff be causing this? Any help greatly appreciated. thanks.

+1
    you might have something stick in the pump area, just enough to bog it down at idle.

Or you could be having cooling issues from sucking up the mud.

Did you back flush it when you got home to get the mud out of the engine?

Remember to start the engine first,then water, water off, then engine off

no i haven't flushed it yet,but it may be hard to flush it ,because it won't hardly idle.i guess i'll cleanout the popff valve first,then disconnect the hose coming into the engine and see what happens. thanks for the reply.

Seaobin said to check the water pump Jet/impellar housing for debris. that is where you will find the issue of idle problem........probably. Something is stuck up in there. Grab a nice very brite light and look up in there throughout the housing.

+1
    I had the same problem, and it turned out to be a 5 ft length of tubing some jackwad had tossed in tot he lake

hmmm,i took the thermostat popoff last nite and cleaned it,and it didn't do anything as far as helping,i will check the impeller tonite.i fired it up last nite and the idle was very erratic,then it would just sputter and die.....frustrating. thanks for the help guys,i appreciate it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow How to safely reverse flush a non-running engine

Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt View Post
    no i haven't flushed it yet,but it may be hard to flush it ,because it won't hardly idle.i guess i'll cleanout the popff valve first,then disconnect the hose coming into the engine and see what happens. thanks for the reply.
    It is possible to safely reverse flush an engine that is not running.

Before starting the garden hose water flow, remove and cap the exhaust water injection hose. This is the smaller hose that runs from one connection on the actual exhaust pipe to another connection.

This is the only place where the cooling water injection on a stock engine can cause trouble. I am assuming the water jacket gaskets on the exhaust and cylinders are not leaking.

A triple piped engine like the Pro 785 has different water injection connections, and you would need to confirm that they had all been blocked off.

The attached photo is from an MSX 140 engine exhaust pipe, but the other Polaris Domestic and Fuji engines have similar hoses for the exhaust water injection.

Since you also suspect mud/silt has gotten into the water jacket, you need to remove and hand clean the filter screen for the exhaust water injection.

Also make sure the small hole that restricts water injection flow into the exhaust is not clogged. On some engines, this hole is combined with the mesh screen. On other engines, it is a separate fitting at the other end of the hose.

In extreme cases, reverse flushing will not be enough to get all the foreign material out of the water jackets. If this happens, the engine cylinders will need to be removed from the engine, and everything manually cleaned out.

To maximize reverse flush flow through the engine, you should clamp off the normal water exit hose from the engine. On a domestic engine, this is the hose that exits from the bottom of the thermostat housing.

This is especially important if your engine doesn't have both the thermostat and pressure by-pass plunger in place in the thermostat housing. Without the exit hose clamp, a lot of the flushing water will not go through the engine - it will simply dump out the thermostat housing and exit the hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200041.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	131183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200037.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	131184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200038.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	131185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 1998 SLXH 1050 engine.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	131186  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt View Post
    ...took the thermostat popoff last nite and cleaned it, and it didn't do anything as far as helping, i will check the impeller tonite.i fired it up last nite and the idle was very erratic,then it would just sputter and die...
    A clogged cooling system will not affect idle, especially when the egnine is not hot.

Check the jet pump impeller for debris. Look in both the front intake grate, and through the rear. There should be nothing in there but the blades, and the blades should not look bent or badly nicked.

+1
    A clean, undamaged impeller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040463.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	131190  

thanks for the reply's guy's.447,i will check the front and back of the blades.if i may ask a stupid question 447.how did you access the impeller from the shaft side?sorry for the dumb question,still gaining expereince on fixing them.

matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information