89 j500 wavejammer wont do anything

Please help. im a decent mechanic at almost anything and ive been working on this for a couple of days. it wont do ANYTHING. i took the starter to autozone and had it tested, it works. i plugged up 3 different batteries = a car battery pulling 13 volts, a marine battery pulling 13 volts and a pwc battery pulling 9.8 volts. ive checked wiring for consistency and not coming up with any problems. the thing just wont do anything. could the ground not be grounded correctly? i think the negative battery cable grounds out on the output shaft but not sure(it was apart when i got it), i see a spot that has nothing there but looks like where the neg bat cable goes. im at a loss. any help is GREATLY appreciated. i will take pics if anyone needs them. thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by ashskyler View Post
    Please help. im a decent mechanic at almost anything and ive been working on this for a couple of days. it wont do ANYTHING. i took the starter to autozone and had it tested, it works. i plugged up 3 different batteries = a car battery pulling 13 volts, a marine battery pulling 13 volts and a pwc battery pulling 9.8 volts. ive checked wiring for consistency and not coming up with any problems. the thing just wont do anything. could the ground not be grounded correctly? i think the negative battery cable grounds out on the output shaft but not sure(it was apart when i got it), i see a spot that has nothing there but looks like where the neg bat cable goes. im at a loss. any help is GREATLY appreciated. i will take pics if anyone needs them. thanks a bunch
    come over to old school with these questions...

starter tests.. you had it checked good..

the ground on that runs from the mag cover using the top starter bolt to the neg connection.. may be corroded ends .. check continuity

positive side from starter goes from stud to internal solinoide in electrical box ,( you must split this to check that circut or at least energize the solinoide via jumping the red and brown wires together at the connection leading down from the handlebars( black?) ,..this will eliminate the switch circut on the handlebars...

the electrical box on these is suseptable to water leaks .. check ,may need a dry out

as per the wr/wj yami shop manuel

1. check fuse....... in electrical box pul the 1 inch plug.. its in there..check this along with the ends for corrosion
    2. battery.. you have done this , but check all heavy leads
    3. wire harnesses.. those feeding from the switches and into the electrical box
    4.starter switch.. this is the switch on the handlebar, check it where you unplugged above for continuity when energized..
    5 starter relay.. this is in the electrical box.. 4 connections .. 2 heavy 2 light.. light are pull in circut 2 heavy are compleater
    6. starter motor.. you have already checked..

hope this helps .. come and post in the old school area.. i can find your posts easyer there. w/rpm500

Thread Information