Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this damaging the hull?

I am hearing alot of rumors that wavejumping causes alot of damage to my GPR. Is this true? I hear that there is alot of stress placed on the sponsons, as well as, the motor supports. Is there anything I can do to make it less damaging, if it is damaging at all...

thanks

+1
    i'll give you my 2 cents, for what it's worth but others may have their own opnion as well.

When wave jumping in any way/shape/ or form - it's obviously going to shake things up a good bit. You may find that you will need to check over the boat inside and out on a regular basis. Things CAN break.

But i would think the most important thing to remember is no matter how much air you get - it's all in the landing. You will never want to "flat-bottom" land in any case where you here the big "whap" sound. You will want to come down at an angle where the first thing that hits is the back of the boat and it does a smooth transition of water force from back to front. Landing almost vertical is almost ideal to me then just let the rest fall where it may----THAT is a lot less stressful IMO than just a flat horizontal landing where the hull is forced to flex and possibly crack.

Just be carful and remember to check the torque on all bolts and inspect the boat inside and out after each day. Hope that this helps.

+1
    What Abbott said.

PLUS:
    -Don't jump in shallow water. Good rule of thumb is keep it as deep as the boat is long. One smack on the plastic turn nozzle can crack it down the road. Another common injury for the ski is the steering cable. You "could" keep a plastic nozzle JUST for wave jumping, so to minimize your worry time?
    -The GPR seat latch is NOTORIOUS for popping open, and swamping your ski. Put some tape over the latch. ***MAYBE SOMEONE HERE CAN POST WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO PROTECT THE LATCH***
    -Yamaha uses a lot of "hard-chrome" bolts on the GPR that are NOT stainless. You should know that no matter how hard you try, mother nature is going to rust bolts. You need to spend lots of time flushing out the ski when you are done...not just the engine.
    -I put an extra life jacket up front wrapped around the front bucket area for flotation for the ski...or an emergency.
    -Never, ever, ever, ever, NEVER jump alone.
    -Keep the front bucket in. If you have it cut open at the bottom, like some folks, then either tape it up, or get a spare bucket. Tape up any open holes that you might have cut for breathing. Minimize your water intake.

A little off topic....
    -Polarized safety glasses work great and provide minimum protection. You can pick them up around $20 or so.
    -I always wear shoes when jumping...even tennis shoes. Grip is paramount to safety and getting that extra push for controlling the tail landing.

thanks to both of you for the info. I never ride alone whether jumping, or just cruising the bays and channels. When I go jumping which seems to be a popular thing in my area, I get some great air(of course ) and I kind of pull back on the bars and keep my feet (with nike air running shoes lol ) planted at the rear of the ski, kinda standing, and get the ski to drop in the water, back first. When I go, I never stay in the shallow, alrady saw a ski sink by hitting bottom and cracking the corner of the hull, I am usually a few hundred yards or more which is about 30+ ft deep. I am still new at these skis, but you guys are really helping me to understand my machine better. I am looking towards some novice racing next year, hopefully after I move to Tampa area from NJ.

Thanks again, and I will be sure to keep air to a minimum and check the ski regularly for looseness, dont wanna destroy the beast already.

+1
    Thanks again, and I will be sure to keep air to a minimum and check the ski regularly for looseness, dont wanna destroy the beast already.
    Don't worry about that (air) - get all you can get. Just land it good or you could find yourself with a hull split at the bottom like an ugly vagina from nose to stern. LOL...

Go get-em!

+1
    Zzzzzzooooooo M !!

wwwWWWEEEEEEE !!!

+1

+1
    you know what? (And sorry for getting off topic a little) I am really going to miss the GPR. I know we will keep seeing them in the years to come from those that bought them while they could, but there has never been a better "all-around" type ski than this. I have to come to a realization that in 8-10 years, these boats will be few and far between.

And the Hull.............Nothing like it. You can literally do anything with a GPR - the sky is the limit.

Sorry, just had a tear pop up and wanted to share.

I dont think my waranty would cover a split hull... lol... or would it? hmmm...

anyways, I think I like the "go fast" feel better, but alot of my buddies beat their old seadoos on the waves, so its either sit around on the beach and watch, or join them and strategically land between the dolphins.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information