Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Snapped a Crank this weekend...

I finally got tagged with the broken snout. Hundreds of hours. Lots of rough water.
    This is a stock 13r setup with a crank support, and an old true/welded crank. Approx 250 hours...sorry, don't have accurate info on this crank.

Upon teardown:
    -Fercho's VForce reeds still look pretty good. Only one burned corner, and the original fray at one other corner. This is after 80 plus hours. I give them a BIG thumbs up over stock reeds for reliability.
    -ProX pistons have held up well. No cracking seen at skirts or pin boss area. The stock ART pistons seemed to crack on me at the pin boss area.
    -Snout support still functioning great...but the crank still snapped. The flywheel was still attached to the support, hanging from the cover.
    -10W40 oiled reed cage gaskets fell off in my hands, with no damage. I'll inspect them, reoil them, or throw them in the garbage if any damage seen.
    -All three cylinders were experiencing some type of compression blowout across the top. I'm unsure of the cause. I did have some paint overspray on them a long, long time ago, that could have easily kept the head gasket from being flat. Otherwise, I have no explanation.
    -Factory pipes are holding well. Front pipe had one bad oring. Packing was GONE on all three pipes.
    -Found a paint scraper in the bottom of the hull. No idea where that came from!! :P

+1
    i will say that it looks like you got your money's worth out of that set-up. Tons of hours. Glad it lasted that long.

Guess this was a "when" issue and not an "if" ???

+1
    good, bad and interesting info mark.

250 hard hours too I assume !

+1

+1
    It's all good. This ski has been whipped from an inch of it's life...and I'll be just as hard on it in the future. Rode hard and put away wet just doesn't cover it!

I think SanDiego Joe is more upset than I am. His favorite tow-truck is busted.

Now I have less than 2 months to get it ready for the Long Beach Sprint races while getting the other Frankenski ready at the same time.

+1
    Are you going to buy a new trued and welded crank from Riva?

What about your flywheel? They do seem to break right on the area where the flywheel is sharp.

I meant to go to NAPA today and get some lapping compound, but I was busy all day with my three year olds birthday party. Which I might add is much more important.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc01203_159.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	6041  

+1
    Nah,
    KeithXL1200 has one I can use for now. It's got a new rebuild on it, so it will do for now. I'll purchase a new flywheel and a stator.

That flywheel was radiused. The radius is up in there, and hard to see from the pictures. Still look at the tear...just twisted like playdough.

I've always wondered how well one would work if the snout was solid, with a nut holding on the flywheel, instead of a bolt. Having a hold all the way down the snout must take out around HALF of the strength of the snout in that area. I wonder if a stud, all the way to the bottom, would help out?

+1
    Well, lapping is important, but as you can see, the flywheel did NOT come off the crank or wallow around. It's still indexed on the pin, and tight as a drum.

+1
    Mark, I was just daydreaming the same thing...

Damn, didnt you just sell your other crank?

I've always wondered how well one would work if the snout was solid, with a nut holding on the flywheel, instead of a bolt. Having a hold all the way down the snout must take out around HALF of the strength of the snout in that area. I wonder if a stud, all the way to the bottom, would help out?

+1
    Happy Birthday to your little princess Jim !

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information