Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need help with rxx cutting out and losing power(electric) then back on again?

i have a low hour rxx. just rebuilt it and took it out to lake and broke it in. well i stopped and it wouldnt crank or do anything. it was dead. then about 10 minutes later it would have power again. then it would cut out on top end at like 5500-6000 rmp then at wot it would surge from 6-8. kind of lost any help would be great

i checked all wires and connections and it has a brand new batt

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If it's not doing anything, like you said, it may be a failing lanyard post. You get no reaction at all when plugging it in? If so, I'd try there first.

+1
    If that doesn't work, check the grounding of the motor.. when it's dead (no power), use a multi-meter and turn it on the infinity symbol... Put one lead on the neg batt terminal, and the other on a head bolt, or some bare metel..

If it beeps, or reads, then you know you at least have a good connection for your main ground.. if it doesn't... there's your problem

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    If it's not doing anything, like you said, it may be a failing lanyard post. You get no reaction at all when plugging it in? If so, I'd try there first.

deff try this first

Quote Originally Posted by dsolie View Post
    If that doesn't work, check the grounding of the motor.. when it's dead (no power), use a multi-meter and turn it on the infinity symbol... Put one lead on the neg batt terminal, and the other on a head bolt, or some bare metel..

If it beeps, or reads, then you know you at least have a good connection for your main ground.. if it doesn't... there's your problem
    I agree with Dan's too. My first inclination would have been check your grounds, but you said you had already done that. This is a good test to confirm.

I thought it was the lanyard at first then i tried my rxp one and it wouldnt beeep either. But then like 5-10 minutes later it will just suddenly work. Then i will go start it up and ride, then thats when the surging will start when its running. I will checkk grounds again. Where is the main ground?

Quote Originally Posted by TDSTYG View Post
    I thought it was the lanyard at first then i tried my rxp one and it wouldnt beeep either. But then like 5-10 minutes later it will just suddenly work. Then i will go start it up and ride, then thats when the surging will start when its running. I will checkk grounds again. Where is the main ground?
    Under the engine below the rear carb. If you don't know then maybe you didn't hook this back up?

+1
    He had to of hooked it back up... Otherwise the starter would have never engaged, the MPEM would never turn on... EVER..

I had an XP with a similar problem. It would run fine then shut off when you gave it throttle. The ground was on and tight but must have had a bad spot somewhere. I tested my theory bu taking a set of jumper cables running them up inside the hull hooking it to the battery and then to the engine. When I figured it out I ended up running a second ground cable. I went through swapping out posts start kill switch and all that until I found this.

+1
    why was the engine just rebuilt? what failed?

If you painted the engine you might of pained over the location of the ground cable attachment spot, sand off the new paint and attach the cable .

TLR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information