New to the Hulk need a little help with Polaris Virage

I want to start out and say hello to all. I found this site yesterday and spent about 3 hours on it. Truly amazing all of the knowledge on this site. I'm very excited to have found it.
    I just inherited a 2000 Polaris Virage which sat covered in a garage for the past 4 1/2 years, I'm not even sure what it has in it, looks like the baby of the Virage's. 2 stoke 2 cylinders and the engine is red, other than that I don't know much about it. I had the carb rebuilt, cleaned the fuel tank and cleaned the lines, new batt. checked the compression. I took it out the other day and it started right up with choke on, I wasn't thinkin and forgot to shut off the choke right away, so it started off right away really rough for about 10seconds until I figured out that I left the choke on.

It ran great for about 40mins, then i noticed at about a 1/4 throttle it sounded like it was back firing a little. But if you gave it full throttle it would take off no problem. I talked to the guy who was working on it and he said that I probably fouled the plugs. Could that happen so quickly ?

My MFD isn't working, in the process of looking at that, I found a lot of articles on that yesterday, so I'm going that route with what I've learned on here to try to fix it. i pulled the fuses in the box, they looked fine except it looked like that electrical goo that they put on the board and fuses has seaped actually into the fuse itself. I will change all of the fuses tonight. Hope thats the problem, I don't know if anyone else has seen that with a fuse before.

I have a question on the clear lines in the engine conpartment, One of the lines runs from the hull to the MFD, I believe thats the speedometer. The other one runs from a vent under the front part of the seat all the way back to where the Batt. is. It looks like it was attached to something at one time, but I can not find where it hooks to. Help?
    Thank you for dealing with my long post and thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

Your flats fishing guy just got a new hobby. These PWC's put a permanent smile on my face. To much fun

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

If you haven't found them yet, click here for the Service Manuals and lots of other useful info.

You have a 700cc Polaris domestic twin engine in your Virage. This is considered a reliable and very fuel efficient engine - for a PWC

Take the spark plugs out, and make sure they are the correct part number. The tips should look fairly clean if the plugs are new. If the plugs are old, you should replace them, even if they still look OK.

The clear hose near the battery is intended to connect to the vent nipple of the battery. Look closely at the ends of the battery for a small nipple. If you have a factory sealed battery, like the recommended AGM type, there is no nipple on the battery, and the hose can just lay in the hull.

Fuses can just go bad over time. Replace them with the proper Amp ratings - 1/4Amp for the MFI display, and 3Amp for the bilge pump.

You say you 'cleaned the lines'. I hope you meant to say that you removed and replaced with new all the gray Tempo brand fuel hoses with new hoses.

Be sure to confirm that the adjustment screws on the rebuilt carbs are set correctly, per the service manual.

I would also suggest you read up on piston wash, and make sure your carbs are correctly set for your engine by checking the piston wash pattern until you are comfortable the engine is runnign as it should.

These 2-stroke PWC engines put out a lot of power for their size and weight, but they will not tolerate incorrect high-speed carb settings without damage. Lean operation can burn a piston in short order.

Take the time to go over every nut, bolt, hose and fitting. Make sure everything is as it should be, and lubricate the through-hull grease fitting, and everything else that moves. Check the throttle cable for correct slack, and check the oil pump cable for fraying inside the sleeve (take it off the carb end to check). Also check that the oil cable is adjusted correctly per the service manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6130254b.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	437.8 KB 
ID:	131194  

Thanks K447,

That clear hose had me worried that I might of had an open hole through the hull. Good news.

I had I guy get it up and going for me, he used to race for Polaris,(Rob Durkin) I'm sure he replaced them. They are a clear blue color. He doesn't want to mess with the electrical though.

Rob said he didn't do anything with the oil. Should I change that or does oil keep. If I should change, any suggestions how?

When looking under at the fuel tank there is a hose that comes out of it and tees, one side goes to a vent and the other goes about 2'' with a nipple end with it open. It almost looks like oil is slowly dripping out of the nipple end, but it's a hose coming out of gas tank. Any Suggestions?

I was home at lunch looking at the ski. I opened the gas cap and it had so much pressure behind it, it almost came out of my hand. Should I replace that Tee thing as mentioned above or is it vented some where else and would that cause a little bit of a back fire. Sorry for being so non PWC but that why I'm here. I need an eduuumacation.

I will be emmersed in the Manual section I'm sure for the rest of the day.

Again thanks for your feed back any little bit you give me is so very helpful.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Fuel tank venting, 2-stroke oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfisher View Post
    ...Rob said he didn't do anything with the oil. Should I change that or does oil keep...

As long as there isn't any water in the oil tank, the oil should be just fine. Do check that all the oil hoses and clamps are in good condition, and there isn't oil leaking out anywhere. The in-line oil filter near the tank should be changed every year.

These are 2-stroke engines. As the engine runs, the variable flow rate oil pump (mounted on the front of the engine) pumps a dribble of oil into each cylinder air intake (via the small hoses under the carbs). The oil then gets drawn into the crank case with the fuel from the carburetor.

It is a slightly sticky oil, and lubricates the roller bearings in the crank case. It also gets slung around the cylinder walls, lubricating the piston rings.

The oil also gets drawn into the combustion chamber with the fuel+air, where it gets burned. The ratio of oil to fuel burned varies from about 100:1 at low RPM to about 40:1 at full throttle.

Under normal operating conditions, there is only a thin coating of 2-stroke oil inside the crank case, but no significant amount of liquid oil.

As you ride, the engine slowly consumes the oil, and you will have to add more to the oil tank from time to time. It is important to never operate the engine without at least a partial tank of oil.

When looking under at the fuel tank there is a hose that comes out of it and tees, one side goes to a vent and the other goes about 2'' with a nipple end with it open. It almost looks like oil is slowly dripping out of the nipple end, but it's a hose coming out of gas tank. Any Suggestions?
    There are two one-way vent valves on the fuel tank, and one on the oil tank. These valves admit air into the tank as the liquid gets drawn down. They are connected on one end only, as they allow air into the tank, but not into the hull.

On the gas tank, a second valve is connected to the outside of the hull, and is supposed to vent excess pressure form the tank to the outside of the hull (normal venting pressure is about 2PSI).

It is important that there be no fuel vapors inside the hull, to avoid any risk of explosion.

I was home at lunch looking at the ski. I opened the gas cap and it had so much pressure behind it, it almost came out of my hand...
    It sounds like one or more of those one-way vent valves is sticking. You can remove them and try cleaning them, but it might be easier to purchase new ones - they aren't expensive.

Be sure to install them with the one-way arrow pointing int he correct direction for each valve

I'm headed home now, I will check those vents. I will let you know what i find out.

Definitely no vapors, just had the ski now for 3 days, didn't notice a hull vent. But i haven't washed and waxed it yet due to not being done in the engine compartment. I just want to get all of the information I can so I can have a safe, reliable and most of all FUN SKI.
    Thanks K447. checked your ski out, you could eat off that one. NICE

Thread Information