Thread: XP sank!

XP sank!

Hey guys new to the forum, have a question for you.
    I just bought a 98 XP limited, put it in the water last night and it sank!
    We found out there's a big crack in the plastic exhaust elbow as it exits the ski. So instead if holding the water at the 90 degree bend it just took on water and sank. We got it back on shore drained the water, pulled the plugs, turned the engine over got the water out. Worked at it for a bit but got it running then changed out the plugs for new ones. When I got it home, fogged the cylinders out well, turned the engine over a couple times then reinstalled plugs and it fired up and seems to idle and run fine.
    The part won't be here till Friday or Monday, will it be ok till I can fix it and get out on the water and run it? Anyhing else you guys would recommend to do?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb8113 View Post
    We found out there's a big crack in the plastic exhaust elbow as it exits the ski. So instead if holding the water at the 90 degree bend it just took on water and sank. We got it back on shore drained the water, pulled the plugs, turned the engine over got the water out. Worked at it for a bit but got it running then changed out the plugs for new ones. When I got it home, fogged the cylinders out well, turned the engine over a couple times then reinstalled plugs and it fired up and seems to idle and run fine.
    The part won't be here till Friday or Monday, will it be ok till I can fix it and get out on the water and run it? Anyhing else you guys would recommend to do?
    Welcome to the forum..It should be fine!!

+1
    I would say just keep fogging and running it....Not to much in the driveway though. Need to get lots of heat in there to displace the moisture.

I had one completely ingest water back in 2006 and that ski still is running great today (100+ hours later).

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb8113 View Post
    I have a 97 XP that had a freeze plug on the exhaust that was corroded and missing so it just kept pumping water in the hull. When the hull fills up with water, check the little black box on the right rear, in front of the battery. It's SUPPOSED to be water tight, but will leak if submerged - this also contains your coil and relay. If these get wet they will start to corrode and affect starting. If you don't catch it now, it might not trigger in your memory later that this was the cause. When you pop the top off, you might need to shove a towel down in there to soak up the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderSmalley View Post
    I have a 97 XP that had a freeze plug on the exhaust that was corroded and missing so it just kept pumping water in the hull. When the hull fills up with water, check the little black box on the right rear, in front of the battery. It's SUPPOSED to be water tight, but will leak if submerged - this also contains your coil and relay. If these get wet they will start to corrode and affect starting. If you don't catch it now, it might not trigger in your memory later that this was the cause. When you pop the top off, you might need to shove a towel down in there to soak up the water.
    My neighbor had the same problem since he didnt want to winterize it. I just Tig welded a cap over the hole. If anyone needs this done let me know.

Thanks for all the replys guys! I'll check that box tomorrow in the light and dry it out. Other than that I guessing I'm good. I was alittle worried about it filling up with water but everyone seems to think it's no big deal, long as I get it back out soon to dry it out.

Thread Information