Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Intake grate bolt

Anybody familiar with the ppg repair kit for the intake grate bolts? I put my riva top loader on my rxt and one of the three rear bolts is spinning. What is involved with the repair. I allready ordered the kit so i can get it asap. Just want to learn how to install the kit. Thanks Dave

Dave - sadly - I have been through the same problem. The repair kit comes with a new brass fitting and some glue/resin to lock in the new brass insert into the one you spun. Unfortunately, it did not hold for me and I ended up getting a new pump shoe. Sux.

Good luck on it.

Brendan

Rule of thumb is you always heat the bolts first to break up the lock-tite that is on them from the factory. And then loosen them a little at a time, not just cranking in one direction without hesitation.

+1
    I had the same problem and thought I could just epoxy them in there, next ride I quickly found out that didnt hold. I purchased the kit from PPG but found my inset holes were cracked so I couldnt use them and did this as my fix. Ait going anywhere now http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82232

Since yours were not ripped out it is worth a shot to give that kit a try. All you do is drill out the old inserts and screw the new inserts in. I would suggest doing both while you are already doing it. Others have just through bolted it though the pump shoe. Some left the bolt head and some have used like an insert. Look for pump shoe and you will find these other fixes I am talking about. Good luck. Let us know how the insert kit works out. I still have mine sitting on my shelf since I never used it.

My rxt has 3 rear bolts and my plan was to do only the problem one. If the others arent broke dont fix em right? I will heat everything up though. How long should one hold a soldering iron on the bolt...i certainley dont want to use a torch in that area. Thanks for the replies. Did the old skis use only two bolts. Like i said my 07 rxt has three on the rear of the grate. Dave

I would just use a heat gun on and around the bolt. Not too long. Let's not go melting anything now. Rotate around the bolt for like 20 secs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DSmith1178 View Post
    My rxt has 3 rear bolts and my plan was to do only the problem one. If the others arent broke dont fix em right? I will heat everything up though. How long should one hold a soldering iron on the bolt...i certainley dont want to use a torch in that area. Thanks for the replies. Did the old skis use only two bolts. Like i said my 07 rxt has three on the rear of the grate. Dave
    The setup is the same on all RXT - 3 bolts at the rear of the grate. Center one goes in the plate, two outter ones go in the brass inserts. I was told by PPG to use one of the cheap butane lighters from the gas stations. Hold the flame just below the head of the bolt for about 10 seconds. I never tried it though.

Personally I would drill out both of them and put the inserts from PPG in there. The SeaDoo design sucks. Do not epoxy your old inserts back in. They will not hold. I know from experience.

Check this thread out (specifically to post 36). It has some other solutions I was talking about.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=62760&page=4

+1
    i would just removed those two bolts and have the intake grate welded up, then add the R&D Girdle kit, smooth out flush to the ride plate. Very good gains....

I sell so many of these insert kits!

And yeah, I think those little jet flame lighters from gas stations work great. They have a perfect little flame for these small bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    i would just removed those two bolts and have the intake grate welded up, then add the R&D Girdle kit, smooth out flush to the ride plate. Very good gains....

I think the girdle is only for the rxp; not t. I was going to get one for my '05 a while back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information