1200 Virage TX starting question

I have a 2001 Virage TX I just got back together, I started it today runs fine. The only question I have is, I have to turn the motor over a couple of times before it will fire. I checked the spark and the same thing, it turns over a few times before it will generate spark. Is this normal? any help would be great.

Thanks again guys.

weak spark? try unscrewing the spark plug boot from the spark plug wire and cut the wire about 1/4" to expose new fresh wire. clean the boot out with a wire brush at both ends with electyrical spray cleaner. a small pick or a very small wire brush should fit in there. put everything back together again and see if you now have better spark. if so great....! if not........well you took one possibility out of the equation.........................

Quote Originally Posted by rjcapo02 View Post
    I have a 2001 Virage TX I just got back together, I started it today runs fine. The only question I have is, I have to turn the motor over a couple of times before it will fire. I checked the spark and the same thing, it turns over a few times before it will generate spark. Is this normal? any help would be great.

Thanks again guys.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the battery voltage while cranking.

If the battery is borderline, the voltage may sag below the minimum 10.5 volts the CDI requires for strong spark delivery. As the engine cranks, the battery voltage may be recovering just enough to allow the CDI to start firing the plugs.

Make sure your battery delivers more than 10.5 volts while cranking the engine. Take the spark plug wires off (and ground them) while crank testing the battery, to ensure it doesn't start.

Once it starts and runs, are you getting full power and the correct peak RPM at WOT?

K447,

I have not had it out on the water yet....I was tighten the last exhaust manifold bolt (very front one) and found that the front of the motor was lifting....I thought what was going on here? are the motor mounts loose?...no there were no bolts going into the motor on the front cross member. To make a long story short, the drive is out, the motor is on a cherry picker right now and I am going tomorrow to buy 2 new motor mount bolts and re-assemble. It is almost impossible to fix it while it is in the hull. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks again for you help.

K447, nice job on the shop manuals.....!

+1
    ...there were no bolts going into the motor on the front cross member...
    Bernie had mentioned that he had troubles with loose engine bolts on some of his Virage units. I hadn't heard of any others until now!

Put some Loctite on those bolts, and torque them tighter than spec. Don't go crazy, but make sure they aren't going to come out again until you decide to take them out!

Check or retighten the rear bolts too.

And check that battery cranking voltage before you go riding. Getting stranded on the water is no fun.

Yep,...I had to pull the motor this morning, got new bolts, used loctite torqued to spec and installed the metal tab that is used to hold the bolt head from turning out. Not a fun project when they put the engine coupling under that fiberglass support for the electrical box! I had to remove the left rear engine mount from the hull to slip the motor in, and then wrestle with the mount trying to get that back in....what a pain!..got it though.

+1
    ...they put the engine coupling under that fiberglass support for the electrical box!

I had to remove the left rear engine mount from the hull to slip the motor in, and then wrestle with the mount trying to get that back in...
    Could you post a photo of that area, where the coupling is?

Did you remove the jet pump and drive shaft before you pulled the engine?
    And the cover for the coupler?

My 2002 Virage TXi looks like this behind the engine.

Thread Information