Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New oil filter cap?

Just did my first filter change on my 08 RXTX and this oil filter cap is harder than my 06 RXT to get off....anyhow....wound up trying to gently pry through hole....put back together and now it seeps oil up through hold past small O-ring....Im stuck....cap got dinged up in hole.

Anyone know where to get the new ones (I heard cap comes off with bolt) or even if they are avail yet?

What a POS design.

+1
    Anyone know where to get the new ones (I heard cap comes off with bolt) or even if they are avail yet?

I'm sure a dealer can get you an answer quick.

Ed

+1
    mine was a pia last oil change as well....not sure if 09 parts are available yet though

Joe

Dealer

Ordered one from the Dealer today. I apologize for not getting the part number, it is a week or two away. Parts Dept. tech had to look in BRP's System, they don't have a list for '09 parts in their system yet . List Price (which I paid) is $24, dealer price is $14. That is why the call it the Stealership, but honestly they are good guys and I buy alot of stuff on the intarwebz so it's good to give them some occasionally.

Good Luck,
    The1IH

**EDIT**

I should also say that Jerry can get this part for you, I will post the part number here when I get it. He offered to get it for me, but I was picking it up for a friend with XT and was already at the dealer looking at -x's.......
    Last edited by OneEyedHito; 05-17-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: More Info added

Thanks, guess just call my local dealer (they suck)

And yes, the rxtx is a real PIA. I shouldn't have to craft a goddam tool to get an oil filter cap off...

Good thing this hunk of junk is so fast...LOL

Isn't the 2009 oil cap a new design and easier to remove?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Isn't the 2009 oil cap a new design and easier to remove?
    Yup, thats the point of the thread! - looking for the new style cap that is supposedly on the 09's

I always rock the cap several different directions a little at a time with the bolt that holds it on, usually have the cap off in about a minute and have never damaged anything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    I always rock the cap several different directions a little at a time with the bolt that holds it on, usually have the cap off in about a minute and have never damaged anything.
    same here, one a get a small lip up, I can usually let my fingernail/fingers lift it off.

I made my own tool after having a hard time getting the cap off and not wanting to mar the cap. I took one of those metal wall anchors that have the fold up wings. You push it in the hole and the wings expand, you know the ones. Then I took about a 4 inch machine screw that fits into the anchor and before screwing it in, placed a large round washer to give me something to grab. Put the anchor in the oil cap hole, the wings expand, and off comed the cap as I pull up on the bolt and washer. Then just unscrew the bolt after the cap is off and everything comes apart. Very simple. I dont consider myself the inventive type, but this is one of the few things I have made that work very very well. THe new style cap wasnt available yet when I made the tool. Ill probably still use my tool tho.
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information