Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultra 150 Problem

Was on the water today, all was good until I hear a loud bang and all of a sudden the engine drops all power. It did not cut out and continued to idle fine. Engine sounds very rough when given throttle. It will idle fine but when I rev it, there is no power transfrred to the pump. There is a metal to metal sound when I rev it.

My immediate suspicion is either an dropped piston or a crank rod bearing problem.
    We tow it back and after getting home my first port of call is to do a compression test all cylinders are between 110-115psi, same as last ime I checked.

Pistons are obviously good given good compression.
    I would have expected the compression to also be effected by a rod bearing failure.

From what I can make out the engine revs but doeas not transfer power to pump. Is it possible the drive shaft could be broken.

With the plugs out I turned the crank by hand and there is a metal to metal sound from the pump.

All help appreciated

Have a look arround the bottom of the hull for any shrapnel just to be sure you can also feel arround under the motor. It really sounds like you may have burned of blown off an exhaust coupler. It would idle ok but choke down when you got on it because of no air. Another posibility would be something went through your pump and damaged the impeller. Pull the pump and check it out.

the metal sound could just be sand in your pump. are both your drive and crank shaft couplers still together?

Jmski333
    10 out of 10 to you. Went out this morning when I had more light and notice the engine was out of line.

On inspection all 3 mounts had failed but I was a lot luckier than you no damage done other than the mounts. Coupling etc all in perfect condition, pump is also spinning freely mwith no metal to metal noise.

Now I wonder if the mounts starting to fail were causing my lack of power/speed, there was hesitation on flooring the throttle, carbs have been rebuilt so no prob there.

Well now to order mounts and install.

lucky, haha. let me know how much you get your engine mounts for.

Good call on the busted mounts! Yes that could cause it issues, thats how I found the broke one on mine. I was running with the seat off looking for a problem and saw the whole front of the motor raise up

Replaced the mounts a aligned engine correctly.

Still have the following problem. Engine starts first time and idles smoothly. If I floor the throttle the power takes time to build (hesitation). If if floor it several times one after the other it will take off quickly. Carbs have been stripped and cleaned, needle/seats are fine.

When I had the engine out I check the driveshaft bearings for roughness but all seemed ok. I noticed that there is very little fuel in the filter but it flows in quickly if I floor the throttle.The filter never fills past 1/4 way.

What are the possible cause of the prob I am having. Would pump bearings have anything to do with it.

Engine revs out at approx 9500 on the water.

is it 9500 on your stock tach? because thats way to high if its on an accurate tach. the stock tachometers are almost useless so i wouldn't go by that.

Did you check the fuel pump out while you were in the carbs?

Sounds like the fuelpump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information