Thread: RXP wear ring

RXP wear ring

Last season I sucked up some rocks on a 2008 RXP. It wrecked the impeller but the wear ring which is plastic got kind a chewed up. Not real bad though, how much will this hurt the performance even though I am replacing the impeller. I don't know how smooth it is supposed to be. Any help would be great. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tburn View Post
    Last season I sucked up some rocks on a 2008 RXP. It wrecked the impeller but the wear ring which is plastic got kind a chewed up. Not real bad though, how much will this hurt the performance even though I am replacing the impeller. I don't know how smooth it is supposed to be. Any help would be great. Thanks
    If it ruined the prop then the wear ring is toast. Replace it. The wear ring is there to keep the impeller free from damage.

Ed

Plus the wear ring is not that expensive so you might as well replace it. If its toast you will not even be able to get on a plain. Or it will take forever to do so. I just had mine replaced last week and before I did it would not get on a plain with someone on the back. Its like 55-65 dollars for the ring itself

wear ring

Does the wear ring press in and out? Can it be done with out bringing it to the dealership? Thanks

+1
    Take the pump off the ski and throw it in the freezer. You don't need to pull the prop to do this. Remove the big pump seal, also. Put new uninstalled wear ring in the freezer, too. Leave it for a couple hours. Take the pump out and pull the ring out with some pliers. Next pull the new ring out of the freezer and tap the new ring into the pump with a block of wood and a hammer. You can use whatever just don't mess up the new ring. Let the pump warm up and spray some XPS lube all over the prop and ring before firing up. Or start it in water. If you start it dry, you will ruin all the work you just did.

Thread Information