GPS Governor Bypass

I hear that there is a way to bypass the GPS governor on the new IS models. How is this done?

+1
    Im sure somebody like Riva will crack the ECU on this boat soon but until then I dont think there is anyway to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by markbet View Post
    I hear that there is a way to bypass the GPS governor on the new IS models. How is this done?
    What's the max it will let you go??

The Coast Guard regulations on PWC says that 65 mph on any production craft is the limit. So if you have a stock 300 hp jet ski, it still will only do 65 tops, that is what it is supposed to be anyway.

+1
    In regards to the "Coast Guard Regulation" of max of 65 MPH for a PWC. In April 1993 all the PWC manufactures made a "gentleman's aggreement" with the United States Coast Guard not to market a PWC which would go over 65 MPH. This agreement was made to last 10 years--to April 2003. Well-- guess what surfaced in August 2003 as a 2004 model year boat--Sea-Doo's RXP which runs over 65 MPH completly stock. Since then every producer of PWCs has a stock craft which does over 65 MPH. (except Honda of course).

I wonder if putting a slim piece of lead seathing on the underside of the glove pox lid would block off the GPS signal thus rendering the GPS rev limiter usless--also your speedo meter would not work--but who cares.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    why cant you block the gps signal with some lead???
    just thinking outloud- i dont know crap about the IS system-like if it looses gps signal does it go superslow/not start ,but standard nmea signals are pretty easy to tap into and alter(drop input from ant.) and to block ...
    anybody have a wiring diagram?
    where is the ant mounted?
    inside the ebox or?
    i bet with 50 bucks of lead sheets you can beet it
    mattman - guessing at what i know nothing about

+1
    What if you just cut the signal wire from the gps to the ECM? That may work. And if it dosent just splice it back together. Or maybe run a resistor in the signal wire to fool the ecm into thinking its going much slower than it actually is.

I talked with Riva, there are no plans for a bypass at this time. I will have to look and see if I can find the gps antenna, trying to block the signal sounds like a good idea. I just picked up my RXT at the dealer, this thing is something else, can't wait to ride it.

BTW, I had to buy a new trailer!! The old trailer I had for the GTX SC was to short, you unhook it from the hitch, it wanted to tip up and drag the back of the ski.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Someone posted earlier that blocking the signal does not fool the ECU. Probably has some kind of fault protection when no signal is available knows that "X" rpm's yields "X" mph. I think the resistor route is the one Riva is exploring to fool the ECM to thinking it is going slower than it is. Electronics act very differently when an incorrect signal is received versus no signal.

Thread Information