+1

Riva Pre-filter, Power Plenum.....

I removed my stock air box and have open throttle bodies now. I know a bunch of people are running no airbox with no problems. But I still have my concern is water getting into the throttle bodies because I do go off shore and wave jumping. I was looking at the Riva Pre Filter just to place on the throttle bodies for added insurance, or does anyone suggest the R&D power plenum? Thanks

The best thing to do besides getting SonicBoom Throttle Bodies is use the stock airbox.

Take the stock airbox, take it apart, remove the stock metal flame arrestors, and reinstall. Leave the front opening disconnected and remove other intake stuff.

Flame arrestors do not prevent water from getting into your engine, none of them. Their sole purpose in life is to extinguish a flame from a misfire.
    Adding the sock (outerwears) over a flame arrestor is similar to shoving a sock in your mouth and then running around the block. You will suffer serious rpm loss.
    If you have water in your hull, find and fix the leak.
    Even with air mods done correctly and riding in the ocean you should not get water in your hull. 1 inch of water in the rear of the hull after riding is somewhat normal for many skis though.
    Many people, including myself, have ran my Sonic Boom ported throttle bodies with open velocity stacks for years now with never a water ingestion issue.
    I also make an APBA version for those that must run a flame arrestor for APBA, IJSBA rules.
    Ross

+1
    I took off the 3 rubber pieces on the box and places them on the throttle bodies instead of putting the entire box back on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Flame arrestors do not prevent water from getting into your engine, none of them. Their sole purpose in life is to extinguish a flame from a misfire.
    Adding the sock (outerwears) over a flame arrestor is similar to shoving a sock in your mouth and then running around the block. You will suffer serious rpm loss.
    If you have water in your hull, find and fix the leak.
    Even with air mods done correctly and riding in the ocean you should not get water in your hull. 1 inch of water in the rear of the hull after riding is somewhat normal for many skis though.
    Many people, including myself, have ran my Sonic Boom ported throttle bodies with open velocity stacks for years now with never a water ingestion issue.
    I also make an APBA version for those that must run a flame arrestor for APBA, IJSBA rules.
    Ross

Cool thanks for the info ross. I didn't think I would have any problems, I know a couple people running with open throttle bodies. But I just wanted to make sure.

+1
    This was preliminary test..but I ran in the Gulf and jumped the crap out of some waves...plus had water go over the nose repeatedly. The bilge even shot water out while I was jumping.

I was worried sick about the throttle bodies getting dunked...nothing happened. The only thing that I have really had a problem in the past, was when I was racing closed course and you'd get a ski in front of you jetwashing 1,000 gallons of water and because we had very little restrictive air cleaners, you'd get a bump or bog of water..sometimes enough to shut you down.

But we'd crank back up get going again.

It was just a test this weekend..I was ready to call Ross and tell him he was full of crap if they got bogged because of water..did'nt happen. They worked flawlessy..especially when I was holeshotting Flybones and Aljazeera, repeatedly.

+1
    [quote=rossnemo;1058150]Flame arrestors do not prevent water from getting into your engine, none of them. Their sole purpose in life is to extinguish a flame from a misfire.

true...but they will stop a gulp of water..or at least break it up enough so the engine can process it with less or a problem than a wash out on bottom end....
    IMO.if you ride surf,fit a good splash gaurd, and if you want tb's get ross's ported one with the small filter i have seen him selling these a few times but not sure of the name,that combo HAS to be the best of both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    especially when I was holeshotting Flybones and Aljazeera, repeatedly.
    Notice how he say hole shotting... Not beating.

Ditch all of it, run them Wide OPEN

Thread Information