Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: oil crisis

oil crisis

Hi
    My name is Jon. I (and a few others ) live in Iceland and the only Seadoo dealer is currently out of buisness. That means no BRP oil and we have some 4tec's that are up for a oil change. So far we have only used the BRP oil, but now with the dealer out of buisness we have to eather inport the BRP oil our self or use somthing else. I think that all of our skis have the riva steel sc washers. I've heard of someone using Motul 300V or Mobil 1 but have any of you guys used ELF MOTO 4 Hp ? And by the way the Amsol oil is not sold here eather. .
    Do you have any other suggetions ??

thanks.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonb450 View Post
    Hi
    My name is Jon. I (and a few others ) live in Iceland and the only Seadoo dealer is currently out of buisness. That means no BRP oil and we have some 4tec's that are up for a oil change. So far we have only used the BRP oil, but now with the dealer out of buisness we have to eather inport the BRP oil our self or use somthing else. I think that all of our skis have the riva steel sc washers. I've heard of someone using Motul 300V or Mobil 1 but have any of you guys used ELF MOTO 4 Hp ? And by the way the Amsol oil is not sold here eather. .
    Do you have any other suggetions ??

thanks.
    Should work. With the metal washers the oil is not that big of a deal. Just keep an eye on the slip moment of the charger. The problem was that the wrong oil would cause the ceramic washers to excessively slip, creating heat, and causing failure. The worst you are going to see with the Riva washers is lower boost and maybe some kind of failure with prolonged use. Lots of people ran regular Castrol back in the day without knowing better and some still do without problem and the oil you referenced is JASO MA certified.

+1
    I have an RXP that ran Castrol 10W 40 for the last 200 hours and still runs perfectly 70+ stock.

any of these will be more than adequate, 4-stroke high performance motorcycle oil is the best substitute

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040925

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040546

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040549

+1
    See if you can find an oil that has a JASO MA2 spec. Your washers will slip less with this spec oil.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 800AMSOIL4U; 05-14-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo on the jaso info

+1
    If you want to look @ a motorcycle oil check out this information and choose which one you like.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    See if you can find an oil that has a JASO MA2 spec. Your washers will slip with this spec oil.
    Whatever. I seem to remember before the new designation you told everyone AMSoil JASO MA rated oil was fine. Now that there are further designations and low and behold AMSoil meets them, it is the only designation good enough. So the JASO MA oil I am running is causing my washers to slip? You're splitting hairs here. How were these AMSoil paid for tests conducted? With obselete ceramics? I haven't seen you post any AMSoil paid for tests on OEM or Riva metal washers stating AMSoil is the only oil that will work. I'll run good ole car oil with as much moly as I can find and bet the washers don't slip after 20 hours in a stock application. Can anyone prove there has ever been a metal SC washer failure from running the wrong oil? The people with over 200 hours on regular, additive added, Castrol must be crazy. No way there SC's can be function properly because we all know from the AMSoil paid for tests if you don't run JASO MA2 oil your SC will slip.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Whatever. I seem to remember before the new designation you told everyone AMSoil JASO MA rated oil was fine. Now that there are further designations and low and behold AMSoil meets them, it is the only designation good enough. So the JASO MA oil I am running is causing my washers to slip? You're splitting hairs here. How were these AMSoil paid for tests conducted? With obselete ceramics? I haven't seen you post any AMSoil paid for tests on OEM or Riva metal washers stating AMSoil is the only oil that will work. I'll run good ole car oil with as much moly as I can find and bet the washers don't slip after 20 hours in a stock application. Can anyone prove there has ever been a metal SC washer failure from running the wrong oil? The people with over 200 hours on regular, additive added, Castrol must be crazy. No way there SC's can be function properly because we all know from the AMSoil paid for tests if you don't run JASO MA2 oil your SC will slip.

My BAD. I am sorry I meant to say if you use the JASO MA2 spec your washers will slip less than a JASO MA or MA1 oil.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    My BAD. I am sorry I meant to say if you use the JASO MA2 spec your washers will slip less than a JASO MA or MA1 oil.
    That is still not correct. The washers are designed to slip, the reason they are there. Now if they work correctly and slip at precisely the right ft/lbs while using lowly JASO MA rated oil and I then add JASO MA2 AMSoil my slip moment is going to increase? No it is not. If that was the case and it actually increased surface friction then I don't think I would want it in my engine.
    Now AMSoil may be the be-all, end-all of oils, the data from the independent tests that they paid for say so, as far as engine wear goes, but this isn't about that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    That is still not correct. The washers are designed to slip, the reason they are there. Now if they work correctly and slip at precisely the right ft/lbs while using lowly JASO MA rated oil and I then add JASO MA2 AMSoil my slip moment is going to increase? No it is not. If that was the case and it actually increased surface friction then I don't think I would want it in my engine.
    Now AMSoil may be the be-all, end-all of oils, the data from the independent tests that they paid for say so, as far as engine wear goes, but this isn't about that.

The JASO MA2 oil will slip LESS than the JASO MA and MA2 oil. AMSOIL is not the be all end all oils. aha used it in his race ski 300 miles and 6 hours of racing on a rude charger and only had a change of 1 lb in slip. Also herbert merino was having issues with the washers and gears with a ET 68-140 now he does not have any more issues http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88100

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information